German woman, 91, charged in 260,000 Auschwitz deaths

Started by jimmy olsen, September 24, 2015, 01:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

If found guilty I'd trust the German legal system to punish her appropriately.

To some extent they're playing 'catch-up' as in the late 50s and 60s they let some far more serious perpetrators of SS and  Wehrmacht atrocities, go free. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on September 24, 2015, 12:08:26 PM
I assume all Stasi informants have been put on trial.
Nope, they plan to start those trials in the 2050s.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2015, 04:51:16 PM

:lol: Good German efficiency.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 06:40:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2015, 04:51:16 PM

:lol: Good German efficiency.
They have to wait until most of them are dead and the survivors are in their 90s so they can have a handful of show trails to assuage the nations guilt, while not actually doing anything meaningful to bring justice to their victims.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 24, 2015, 06:48:18 PM
They have to wait until most of them are dead and the survivors are in their 90s so they can have a handful of show trails to assuage the nations guilt, while not actually doing anything meaningful to bring justice to their victims.

Well right now there are hundreds of thousands of people who were complicit to some extent with the Stasi so best to wait until they have stopped working, have retired, and most of them have died. Think of all the money that is saved.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

What are the facts?  What exactly were her roles?  What did she know?  What did she assist in?  Are there extenuating circumstances?  Inculpatory ones?

And how can anyone prejudge the case either way without knowing the answers?

There's a reason why they have trials.  Cynics aside, it's not just a hollow ritual.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2015, 10:03:35 PM
What are the facts?  What exactly were her roles?  What did she know?  What did she assist in?  Are there extenuating circumstances?  Inculpatory ones?

There's a reason why they have trials.  Cynics aside, it's not just a hollow ritual.

:yes: Hitler was innocent of any 1933-45 crimes since he didn't get a trial.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

What crimes can Stasi informants be put on trial for (assuming we are talking about crimes that can be prosecuted irrespective of domestic legislation at the time the crime was committed, in the same way Holocaust collaborators can be put on trial)? Honest question.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on September 25, 2015, 01:09:26 AM

What crimes can Stasi informants be put on trial for (assuming we are talking about crimes that can be prosecuted irrespective of domestic legislation at the time the crime was committed, in the same way Holocaust collaborators can be put on trial)? Honest question.

Why even bother?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 24, 2015, 10:03:35 PM

Actually I believe investigations can take place before a trial.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I'm confident that we can find something at least as bad as operating a radio.

Btw, if Hitler's secretary Traudl Junge (played by that hott actress in Der Untergang) wasn't put on trial (which I don't think she was) it seems weird to go after SS radio operators.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on September 25, 2015, 02:33:32 AM

Btw, if Hitler's secretary Traudl Junge (played by that hott actress in Der Untergang) wasn't put on trial (which I don't think she was) it seems weird to go after SS radio operators.

Her crime is not "operating the radio". Her crime (for which she is still being put on trial so may be innocent) is "aiding and abetting genocide". I am not sure whether crimes of stasi (however horrid) actually qualify as genocide, war crimes or crimes against humanity - in which case aiding and abetting their crimes would be subject to a statute of limitation and would not be punishable under a retroactive statute.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 25, 2015, 02:38:41 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 25, 2015, 02:33:32 AM

Her crime is not "operating the radio". Her crime (for which she is still being put on trial so may be innocent) is "aiding and abetting genocide". I am not sure whether crimes of stasi (however horrid) actually qualify as genocide, war crimes or crimes against humanity - in which case aiding and abetting their crimes would be subject to a statute of limitation and would not be punishable under a retroactive statute.

I'm sure getting his orders typed up and distributed was no help at all to Hitler's genocides. :rolleyes:

The Brain

Also, advocating retroactive legislation seems bizarre to me.

Edit: if no one is then disregard this.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on September 25, 2015, 02:42:09 AM
Also, advocating retroactive legislation seems bizarre to me.

Edit: if no one is then disregard this.

It is generally accepted that certain crimes can be prosecuted even if they were not, technically, a crime under the national jurisdiction of the country where they were committed. This is what allowed for Nurnberg trials to happen, for example. But the list of such crimes is generally very short.

My assumption was that cooperating with the Stasi before 1989 was not a crime in Eastern Germany, so the only way it could be prosecuted is if it falls within the narrow group of the crimes that can be prosecuted as described in the first paragraph.