News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hunted

Started by Josquius, September 23, 2015, 06:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Tonight on TV I caught an episode of a show I've never seen before. It seems rather interesting.
It's a sort of reality tv / game show sort of thing. It is basically a real world attempt at creating the Running Man (book)'s show for real.

There's a bunch of members of the pub told to go on the run and then there is an expert team of former detectives, military trackers, etc.... Trying to hunt and catch them as they would a fugitive. They have access to public CCTV cameras, mobile phone tracking, etc....
The people have to stay on the run for 28 days then presumably they win.
No idea if their expenses are covered by the show but I hope so.

In the episode I saw there were three people; 2 Sikh brothers and a doctor guy.
The brothers started well. One of them left his phone at home and it was full of emails about their plan.... Except it wasn't their plan. It was a purposeful misdirection.
They were going so well, travelling the country and staying with the Sikh community.... Until, despite being specifically told not to call home, they used the same burner phone to contact each of their partners and then a shop keeper they knew- they were promptly caught hiding in the back of the guys shop.
The doctor guy did better. He knew a bunch of farmers in Scotland and had help from people unlinked to the show. He was Playing with the pursuers and leading them on a goose chase around the Scottish highlands. His boredom will get him caught some day but not today.

So. The purpose of the thread.
Assume you are a contestant on such a show (or you actually are a fugitive from the law); what would be your plan? How would you avoid your pursuers? 
Head to the hills for a month off the grid? Change place every night?

My plan revolves around getting to europe somehow. It just seems so much harder if restricted to the uk. Perhaps the show wouldn't even work in larger emptier countries.

Do remember however; the pursuers have police resources. They know if you have a cabin in the woods.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Nice try, I'm not going to tell you my plan!  :P

Eh, I'd probably have to improvise. Obviously, I'd need to avoid using cell phones or credit cards and avoid talking to anyone I know. Beyond that... /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

I'd just go cross the border at Nuevo Laredo.

Bye.

E:  If they provide enough cash for bribes, I'm totally set.

lustindarkness

I could use a month in the woods.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Monoriu

No way.  There is no way I can get away with this.  The only way I can get out of Hong Kong without going through the normal border controls is to hire a speed boat from the triads.  They'll betray me for sure.  Even if I can get through the HK police, I'll enter mainland jurisdiction.  I think they are even more efficient at catching someone. 

Tonitrus

I have a feeling with enough cash, Mono could survive undetected for a month living in the public restroom of a HK mall.  :P

Or just become invisible in one of those lower-class massive housing estates.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 23, 2015, 10:36:48 PM
I have a feeling with enough cash, Mono could survive undetected for a month living in the public restroom of a HK mall.  :P

Or just become invisible in one of those lower-class massive housing estates.

Actually it is the other way round.  It is easier to become invisible in a privately-owned middle class housing estate.  The public housing estate units have less privacy, more intrusive management, stronger neighbourhood bonds, and more NGO presence.  The private units can take care of themselves individually. 

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2015, 06:35:32 PM
Assume you are a contestant on such a show (or you actually are a fugitive from the law); what would be your plan? How would you avoid your pursuers? 
Head to the hills for a month off the grid? Change place every night?
My plan is twofold:
1) get very rich
2) dig a hidden sublevel to my house
3) hide there in case of emergency.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

First I build a false wall in the back of the storage closet in a bank.  Then I wait.  Then I sell the diamonds and use the Nazi documents for blackmail.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

If I had the money to do so, I'd just travel around Korea by bus staying in a different motel every night.

As a white guy I'm pretty noticable here though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I get money for bribes, put it into a Swiss account and turn myself in.

Brazen

Not sure if they make sure they don't have any cash on them (as obviously accessing any resources would mean instant detection) but I read an interview with one contestants who ended up begging for food.

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on September 24, 2015, 03:56:31 AM
Not sure if they make sure they don't have any cash on them (as obviously accessing any resources would mean instant detection) but I read an interview with one contestants who ended up begging for food.
The doctor guy gave away his position a little when he had a friend use his bank card to withdraw money from a cash machine and then post it to another friend elsewhere (where the doctor then picked it up).
What I don't get though is why they can't just say "Hey Dave, I'm on this TV show where I'm on the run, could you lend me £500 from your account? I swear I have the money, I'll pay it back next month when they stop tracking me"

The phones thing too...
Assuming I'm doing this from the UK...
*I would tell my dad to take my computer and tablet it and hide it away at my aunt's house for the month. Don't want anyone going through my computer, TV show or not <_<
*I can go a month without talking to my parents just fine. But if I really had to call home- I would tell one of them to buy a burner phone as well as myself. Swap numbers with them via a neighbour's phone number.
* Get a friend with a burner phone to call my parents every so often from somewhere where I'm not. Get them tracking that phone and confusing themselves.
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

I would put my shoes on backwards so that my footprints would always look like they were going in the opposite direction.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Legbiter

I'd go to a remote cabin up in the highlands and sit tight for a month.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.