News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wildlife

Started by mongers, September 20, 2015, 03:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Have we ever had a thread about wildlife and/or nature?

Couldn't find anything so thought I'd start one. As I've gotten older I seem to appreciate wildlife more.

Saw a nuthatch in the garden earlier, first time I've seen one. Weird looking stubby bird like a small woodpecker with a bright orange underside and swagbag eye patches.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

My favorite bird that I observe fairly often is the raven. Eagles are awesome but there is just something about ravens I like. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Throughout the summer we have been observing a pair of swans on the river outside our house. They have succeeded in raising no fewer than 8 cygnets  :cool:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 20, 2015, 03:38:04 PM
Throughout the summer we have been observing a pair of swans on the river outside our house. They have succeeded in raising no fewer than 8 cygnets  :cool:

I never saw the word "cygnet" before. This is something I love about English - that Latin words prop up like this.

11B4V

From around the yard at various times

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Hamilcar

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 20, 2015, 03:38:04 PM

:cool:

We've lost most of our swans, they're either up river close to the tourists in Salisbury or at the tourist spot at the river mouth down at the coast.

I think we've only about 5 currently on the river, not seen any cygnets this year, I think because it's getting to popular around here with dog walkers, who seem to walk and talk on their mobiles half the time, ignoring what the dogs are doing.  <_<

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Before watches Fox! :o

Or maybe his dog does.  :hmm:

mongers

Nice photos 11B4V.

The UK in comparison is almost entirely un-wild, virtually all landscapes are the result of human activities. 

Though I guess the much of our shoreline and some small ancient forests in Scotland are natural.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2015, 04:09:25 PM
Before watches Fox! :o

Or maybe his dog does.  :hmm:

They're not quite as entertaining as Comedy Central, but close.  ;)

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2015, 03:26:56 PM
Have we ever had a thread about wildlife and/or nature?

Couldn't find anything so thought I'd start one. As I've gotten older I seem to appreciate wildlife more.

Saw a nuthatch in the garden earlier, first time I've seen one. Weird looking stubby bird like a small woodpecker with a bright orange underside and swagbag eye patches.

I'll put bird seed out on the deck railing in the morning daily for a few months now. It can get quite busy and humerous with 10-20 creatures right in front of the front window. That usually draws Squirrels, Chip Monks, Finches, Stellar Jay's, and Doves. A couple days I forgot and the chip monks were crawling on the window screens reminding me of my error.

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

b4 needs to wash the truck.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014