Due to low birth rate, Japan abolishes social sciences, STEM for all.

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2015, 08:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Most cities in the US aren't like that because the land is too valuable so the buildings get torn down and replaced. The exceptions tend to be mid 20th century industrial centers with declining populations, mostly in the Midwest. Also, small towns that lost their reason for being.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2015, 11:08:33 AM
Group projects in college are inane.  In the real world, you have a manager with some level of authority overseeing everyone's contributions, so in a non-dysfunctional workplace, free-riding is limited.  In college group projects, it's anarchy and a game of chicken.  The one who cares the most about the grade will be the first one to yield and actually get shit done.

So true.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2015, 11:08:33 AM
Group projects in college are inane.  In the real world, you have a manager with some level of authority overseeing everyone's contributions, so in a non-dysfunctional workplace, free-riding is limited.  In college group projects, it's anarchy and a game of chicken.  The one who cares the most about the grade will be the first one to yield and actually get shit done.

I got 1 B in graduate school.

It was in a class where 90% of our grade was a final group presentation. The group would get a grade, and it would be adjusted up or down based on the anonymous feedback from other team members.

My group sucked. Our analysis was obviously wrong--calculations that based on math had to be equivalent were not--in 30 seconds our professor would know we fucked up the basics. So the night before, the rest of my group was like, "whatever, fuck it." I was too embarrassed to present the shit we had, so I stayed up all night--by myself--and got the analysis right.

So we come to the presentation the next morning. Because I was the one that re did it all the night before, I was the only one that knew what we had in our presentation, and had to present about 75% of it.

Our project seemed to have gotten a baseline of an A-. I was the only one in our group that got adjusted down to a B.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Well, you obviously didn't get the point of working in a group.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 18, 2015, 10:41:25 AM
It's really hard not to ask, "How would you know?" 

It wasn't that hard now, was it?    ;)

If I had been wiser back in my college days I would have hung around more pre-professional types; as it happens though, an unusually high proportion of people I know from college became profs, in a variety of fields, in a variety of institutions.  Those I keep in touch with , while not thrilled with the politics of academia, eem to be doing interesting research and generally report positive interactions with students.  Anecdotal, but suggestive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2015, 10:47:17 AM
Well, I think economics is special, and not merely a "social science" It by its nature is a very quantitative field, and the fact that's it's not a hard science yet is more due to the fact that it's still in the dark ages rather than because it is an inherently social science field. 

Econ is very much a social science.  It will never be a hard science and if there is one glaring flaw in the discipline on the macro side at least, it is too much reliance of formal mathematical modeling.

Quotethat's the only example, then I'm not convinced.

I'm not sufficiently familiar with others to comment intelligently, although my impression is that there is some pretty rigorous work done in psych.  Kahneman and Tversky were both psych profs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2015, 12:07:57 PM

If I had been wiser back in my college days I would have hung around more pre-professional types; as it happens though, an unusually high proportion of people I know from college became profs, in a variety of fields, in a variety of institutions.  Those I keep in touch with , while not thrilled with the politics of academia, eem to be doing interesting research and generally report positive interactions with students.  Anecdotal, but suggestive.

There was a time when you weren't wise? :blink:

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2015, 12:07:57 PM

Not too terribly suggestive, given the following factors:

1)Professors have a financial interest in professing.
2)People in general that aren't me apparently attempt to spin things as rosy, even when they aren't.  Likewise, people are often sufficiently biased that they prefentially process positive information.
3)Students who interact routinely with professors tend to be more likely to report positive feelings about it, since if their reactions were negative, those interactions would probably cease.
4)Students still currently enrolled are a pretty suspect group from which to draw any data, even anecdata, about the attitude of college graduates.
5)Even college graduates who wind up underemployed can suffer a bit from a mild kind of false consciousness where they attribute their failures--and not without supporting evidence--to agencies outside of themselves and the academy (which they enjoyed), particularly the economy and a business culture that doesn't value their prospective contributions.  This probably feels better than understanding that they made a personal mistake, and were encouraged in this by people they respect and trust.)

Anyway, I'd bet the closest you get to slumming it is that one time you met a lawyer who went to Duke. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

As a matter of fact, I had a friend who was a law prof in South Carolina a few years back . . .

It's convenient to take the position that everything other then yourself suffers from irremediable cognitive biases.  But not very convincing. 
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Meh, I have biases.

(Anyway, law profs are almost uniformly derived from high-elite backgrounds.  This was less true in the past, so your pal may not fit that bill exactly, but these days it's really ridiculous how few schools produce almost all law academics, boiling down to mainly HYS with maybe a few token Columbia and Chicago grads thrown in.)

He was at USC, right? :unsure:
Kinemalogue

Capetan Mihali

Hey Ide, check this out.  I just got this a minute ago on the listserv as I sit here waiting for the trimester to start:

QuoteHelp make it easier to find film and video in libraries! Contribute to an experiment to explore extracting structured data from free text in MARC!

OLAC (http://www.olacinc.org/) is working on project to make the process of finding film and video in library catalogs better. We plan to take data from MARC records and map it to structured data that can

*         drive more effective discovery interfaces

*         is easier to maintain

*         is in a form that can be used for sharing as linked data.
We are working on automating the interpretation of statements of responsibility in MARC records. Please help us create a pool of correct answers for training a computer program by annotating some film and video credits at http://olac-annotator.org/ It only takes a few minutes to make a contribution. We want to annotate as many credits as possible over the next month.
You can help by

*   Annotating movie credits at http://olac-annotator.org/ (identifying the names and roles or functions they performed)
  *   Translating movie credits into English from languages ranging from Chinese to Spanish to Urdu at
http://olac-annotator.org/
  *    Identifying and documenting patterns in credits that will be challenging for a computer to interpret by copying examples of problem credits to the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16dhQTw7Us2r7nSyrfAKgf725vvYifq4NtYv8sApyOvk/edit?usp=sharing (http://tinyurl.com/p2o3m8l)
Go to http://olac-annotator.org/ to get started.

It's got tech, movies, higher education, and rote repetition all rolled into to one.  :)

EDIT:  And thanks for the shout-out. :hug:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2015, 10:16:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 17, 2015, 04:58:30 PM
They aren't. Man up millinials.

I find the whole concept bizarre.  I wouldn't even know about that shit if wasn't fore Spellus.  You know what wasn't microagression?  When some asshole came at me with a fucking bat calling me a kike.  I'm not even a Jew!

A website you might enjoy:

http://everythingsaproblem.tumblr.com
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017