Due to low birth rate, Japan abolishes social sciences, STEM for all.

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2015, 08:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 17, 2015, 02:04:00 AM
Don't let the demiwesterners get you down, Mono. The accusation that east asians can't think creatively because they are part of a collective hivemind identity is one of the last refuges of western prejudice. 

You really must forgive them; I am given to understand Martinus recently purchased an indulgence for exactly that reason.
It's hardly a criticsm that only westerners make, I have Korean teachers tell me this is the biggest problem with Korean education and culture all the time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

By the way, Tim and other Eastern Asian fanboys - can you verify something for me.

I have a friend working for Samsung (he is a rather clever IT guy) here in Poland. As a part of his induction he went through a "cultural awareness" programme of sorts (something pretty common for international companies) but as a part of the training they were told that if their superior tells them to do something, they must not ask questions because it implies that either their superior is stupid (for not giving clear instructions) or they are stupid (for not understanding clear instructions).

Is this for real? I find it hard to believe that an international corporation would do something so moronic and inefficient.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2015, 02:08:32 AM
By the way, Tim and other Eastern Asian fanboys - can you verify something for me.

I have a friend working for Samsung (he is a rather clever IT guy) here in Poland. As a part of his induction he went through a "cultural awareness" programme of sorts (something pretty common for international companies) but as a part of the training they were told that if their superior tells them to do something, they must not ask questions because it implies that either their superior is stupid (for not giving clear instructions) or they are stupid (for not understanding clear instructions).

Is this for real? I find it hard to believe that an international corporation would do something so moronic and inefficient.

It almost certainly different in a copropate enviornment,  where there is a are rock solid chain of command, everyone is fluent in english, and is simply more formal in general, however I ask questions all the time. Class preperations could not be successfully made otherwise. But I'm basically on the same level as my coteachers, and there are often language misunderstandings we have to work through.

It is my understanding, that a lot of times Koreans just shut their mouths and follow orders. Sometimes they question or object, but nine times out of ten they end up following orders no matter how stupid the command is anyways.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2015, 02:12:31 AM

It might be different in a copropate enviornment,  where there is a are rock solid chain of command, everyone is fluent in english, and is simply more formal in general, however I ask questions all the time. Class preperations could not be successfully made otherwise. But I'm basically on the same level as my coteachers, and their are often language misunderstandings we have to work through.

Do you mean they can speak English and you can't or...?  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Was hoping to beat you with that edit.  <_<

I changed my answer substansially.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 17, 2015, 02:15:55 AM
Was hoping to beat you with that edit.  <_<

I changed my answer substansially.
:hug:

Sorry, couldn't miss such an opportunity. :P

Monoriu

Even within the same organisation, each boss is different. 

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 16, 2015, 07:07:58 PM
Immigrants solve the declining Japanese population problem the way getting someone to urinate in your canteen solves a diminishing water problem.

... says the potential immigrant to Japan, married to a Japanese lady.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Don't let the demiwesterners get you down, Mono. The accusation that east asians can't think creatively because they are part of a collective hivemind identity is one of the last refuges of western prejudice. 

Considering the weird ass shit the Japanese come up with I never thought this held much water. Nobody in the west is making movies about WWII warships being personified by teenage girls.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2015, 08:04:25 AM

Considering the weird ass shit the Japanese come up with I never thought this held much water. Nobody in the west is making movies about WWII warships being personified by teenage girls.

Hey, no-one ever said the hive-mind was particularly sane:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Lettow77

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2015, 07:56:15 AM

... says the potential immigrant to Japan, married to a Japanese lady.  :hmm:

I'm an immigrant, not a potential immigrant.

But the progeny that will soon come into the world will be told all his life he's a "half" by his peers, rather than a proper Japanese. His raising will also mark him as quite different, due to a trifling immigrant passing on inferior culture rather than assimilating.

I'm certainly no solution to Japan's problems. The best I can offer is obsequious service at the feet of my overlords.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ideologue

Maybe you should move the kid back to the States.  It would have citizenship, because despite all the letters I've sent to the Department of State, as far as I know they still haven't taken any action. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Lettow77

The childhood he'll get in rural Japan should be far more safe and pleasant than living in the South. He'll have his druthers when he's 18, and can reject either US or Japanese citizenship in favor of the other. 
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 17, 2015, 08:21:20 AM

I'm certainly no solution to Japan's problems. The best I can offer is obsequious service at the feet of my overlords.

You damn collabo. :(