Due to low birth rate, Japan abolishes social sciences, STEM for all.

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2015, 08:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2015, 10:11:10 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 10:10:30 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2015, 10:09:48 AM
OK Martim.

Eh?  :huh:

Martim Silva famously has met and talked to most major players in the world.
I think he also got a handjob from an ambassador while speaking at UN, if I recall correctly.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 10:24:56 AM
Certainly in HK the employers keep saying they don't find enough IT people.  I have personally seen a major government IT project fail because the contractor can't hire enough IT people with salaries that can keep the project within budget.  We had to kill the project and start over.  I seldom, if ever, hear any employer complaining about the lack of social science majors.  Not sure about Japan, of course, but my guess is they are in the same boat.

So the problem is really with the government not wanting to pay the IT people enough. There are enough IT graduates, you just don't want to pay them what they demand.

The Brain

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 10:27:22 AM
Certainly in HK the employers keep saying they don't find enough IT people.  I have personally seen a major government IT project fail because the contractor can't hire enough IT people with salaries that can keep the project within budget.  We had to kill the project and start over.  I seldom, if ever, hear any employer complaining about the lack of social science majors.  Not sure about Japan, of course, but my guess is they are in the same boat.

So the problem is really with the government not wanting to pay the IT people enough. There are enough IT graduates, you just don't want to pay them what they demand.

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Also, Japan have a dire demographic problem. It's not lack of STEM graduates, it's lack of graduates. I'm not knowledgeable enough about their society and laws, but they need immigrants.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on September 16, 2015, 10:29:26 AM
Also, Japan have a dire demographic problem. It's not lack of STEM graduates, it's lack of graduates. I'm not knowledgeable enough about their society and laws, but they need immigrants.

From what I heard, many people do not want to migrate there due to Japanese people's horrible racism.

Monoriu

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 10:27:22 AM

I see it as a sign that we need more STEM graduates.  The problem is we don't have enough of them.  Government contract - lowest bidder wins.  If the lowest bidder wants to pay us $x, we'll pay $x, no more.  We don't determine how the contractor pays the IT people.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
I see it as a sign that we need more STEM graduates.  The problem is we don't have enough of them.  Government contract - lowest bidder wins.  If the lowest bidder wants to pay us $x, we'll pay $x, no more.  We don't determine how the contractor pays the IT people.

So your solution is for the government to pay a shit ton of money to produce more IT graduates so it can save 10% off the budget for the next project? That's some stellar long term policy there.

There's an appropriate American saying: you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2015, 10:30:15 AM
From what I heard, many people do not want to migrate there due to Japanese people's horrible racism.

How bad are the Japanese exactly?

It is more likely since Japan is an island they can control it better. Like Australia and New Zealand do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I used to wonder how do government bureaucracies often end up acting in a such inefficient and moronic manner they do - why doesn't noone challenge that at one point or another. Now, it seems based on what Mono is saying, not only they realise that, they consider it a good idea.  :lol:

DGuller

Well, both of you could be right.  You have to pay the market rate to get the people.  But the market rate may reflect the fact that there aren't enough people.  The fact that the going rate is very high for IT people may indicate that there are a lot of projects requiring IT that are not getting done due to not being able to compete with other projects for resources.

Monoriu

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 10:31:59 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 10:30:42 AM

So your solution is for the government to pay a shit ton of money to produce more IT graduates so it can save 10% off the budget for the next project? That's some stellar long term policy there.

There's an appropriate American saying: you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I doubt an IT professor costs more than a humanities professor.  The solution is to fire the humanities professor, and use the same amount of money to hire an IT professor to train programmers.  Same cost, better ouput. 

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2015, 10:32:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2015, 10:30:15 AM

How bad are the Japanese exactly?

It is more likely since Japan is an island they can control it better. Like Australia and New Zealand do.

Not sure to be honest - it's just that I met a bunch of people each separately telling me about the rampant and explicit racism in Japan. I understand it is pretty anecdotal though.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2015, 10:33:58 AM
I used to wonder how do government bureaucracies often end up acting in a such inefficient and moronic manner they do - why doesn't noone challenge that at one point or another. Now, it seems based on what Mono is saying, not only they realise that, they consider it a good idea.  :lol:

It is about priorities.  Private companies prioritise the bottom line.  Governments prioritise not getting accused of accepting bribes.  The priority is to set an objective standard and follow it, so that no civil servant can be accused of corruption.  That's why the lowest bidder wins rule.  Whether the contractor can actually carry out the contract takes second place. 

Martinus

Yes, as I said, this is horribly inefficient and wasteful. Only idiots pick the cheapest offer in a tender.