News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How would you make America a dictatorship?

Started by Razgovory, September 11, 2015, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Based off something DG said.  How could you legally make the US into a dictatorship.  Ideally changing or breaking as few laws as possible in the process and not altering the Constitution.  A long time ago I remember someone pointing out that the president could theoretically nominate himself to the Supreme Court, which would not violate the letter Constitution but certainly violate the spirit of it.  That's sort of behavior is what I was thinking.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

You'd have to get rid of the masons/Jews/lizards.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

I don't know about the legal tricks, but I guess general apathy is an important ingredient to the plan. 

11B4V

Not possible Raz, too many gun toting hillbillies around.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maximus

Quote from: 11B4V on September 11, 2015, 05:59:40 PM
Gun-toting hillbillies couldn't do squat to stop it.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I think the best way is to revisit the trajectory of Nazi Germany.  There needs to be some kind of perceived major external threat that manifests itself as a terrorist attack.  One that is many times worse than 911.  Say a nuclear bomb goes off in a major city.  That'll be the political trigger needed to change existing laws or the constitution to remove the power checks.

11B4V

Quote from: Maximus on September 11, 2015, 06:12:46 PM
Gun-toting hillbillies couldn't do squat to stop it.

Poor man
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

:lol:

Oh, you were serious.

:lmfao:

Goddamn you are dumb.  You really have stepped into Siege's shoes in that department.

Can armed hill billies stop the federal government?

Signs point to, "no".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2015, 06:44:54 PM

:lol:

Oh, you were serious.

:lmfao:

Goddamn you are dumb.  You really have stepped into Siege's shoes in that department.

Can armed hill billies stop the federal government?

Signs point to, "no".
Not as stupid as you starting this thread.

It would not be the "US federal government" if it was a dictatorship, now would it...idiot. In name only.

A more likely scenario would be the country would splinter IMO. You have too many liberal minded people and yes gun toting hillbillies in this country, along with people who just don't like to be told what to do. Imagine that Right Wing hillbillies and Left liberal wing nuts banded together.

Monoriu

In short, the goal is to make the US president able to pass laws without congressional approval, and the Supreme Court can't overturn those laws under any circumstances.  The question is how to pass the necessary laws to make these happen. 

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 11, 2015, 06:53:00 PM

It would not be the "US federal government" if it was a dictatorship, now would it...idiot. In name only.

A more likely scenario would be the country would splinter IMO. You have too many liberal minded people and yes gun toting hillbillies in this country, along with people who just don't like to be told what to do. Imagine that Right Wing hillbillies and Left liberal wing nuts banded together.

The idea that armed citizenry could stop the government has was questionable in the 18th century.  It was proven wrong in the 19th century and weapons and logistics have become more complicated since then and out of the reach for citizenry.  Even well armed and trained militias in Iraq failed to stand up the US army.  Not to mention the fact that many right wing gun nuts may well like the idea of a dictatorship, especially if they feel it's on their side.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on September 11, 2015, 06:55:43 PM
In short, the goal is to make the US president able to pass laws without congressional approval, and the Supreme Court can't overturn those laws under any circumstances.  The question is how to pass the necessary laws to make these happen.

I don't think these are required.  Most dictators had nominal legislatures, they just didn't matter much.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2015, 07:08:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 11, 2015, 06:53:00 PM

The idea that armed citizenry could stop the government has was questionable in the 18th century.  It was proven wrong in the 19th century and weapons and logistics have become more complicated since then and out of the reach for citizenry.  Even well armed and trained militias in Iraq failed to stand up the US army.  Not to mention the fact that many right wing gun nuts may well like the idea of a dictatorship, especially if they feel it's on their side.

Ah, so you are saying we won in Iraqi and Afghanistan. Good show and thanks for that.

They would have to gain control of nearly all the military. Not going to happen.

The right wings nuts would not retain their guns under a dictatorship. So, no, they wouldn't like it.

QuoteThe idea that armed citizenry could stop the government has was questionable in the 18th century.

I could have swore a bunch of hillbillies did just that in the late 18th century. It was called the American Revolution.