News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's your old war wound?

Started by Brazen, September 10, 2015, 04:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Everyone's got one. That old injury that starts flaring up about this time of year when the weather gets colder and damper. The twinge that makes sleeping difficult and getting up even harder. What's yours?

I damaged my shoulder ligaments doing a forward pavement dive while out training for the London Marathon back in 2010. I didn't go to the doctor immediately as I was starting a new job the very next day. I had physio for a while but (of course) didn't keep up the exercises. It was so bad I had to use my other hand to move my arm from keyboard to mouse ot to shake hands, and couldn't open doors or undo my bra for months.

It's just started flaring up again. It was too painful in the neck/shoulder/upper back area this morning I physically couldn't lift my head from my pillow and had to roll out of bed  :pinch:

Syt

Had a broken knee cap during my military service. Have a 3 inch scar on my left knee where they cut to screw it back together. Itches every now and then and when the weather changes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

I twisted my knee pulling some amazing dance move in a club on Mallorca in 2004. It still bothers me sometimes if I cycle in cold weather. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

A few years ago I thought it would be a good idea to go as fast as I could on the running machine, and beyond.  The calf muscles on the left leg complained, and they are still screwed to this day.  Talked to a few doctors and physiotherapists, and did some ultra-sound tests, but nobody has any clue what the problem is.  It has improved a lot compared to the worst days, but I still feel that something is off there.  The physiotherapists observe that the muscles there are visibly...wrong. 

The fact that I still insist not doing any warm-up, stretching or cool-down before, during, and after my exercises may have a bit to do with it.  Or it may not. 

Josquius

My right knee is very stiff and often doesn't work at all.
Its not based on anything. It just started up 2/3 years ago and sometimes comes back and....doctors know nothing.
Went to a physio once and she said it was something to do with a tendon (or whatever it is) on one side being very weak whilst the one it worked with was very strong but that seems off to me.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I suffered from Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was a kid, and my right knee never fully healed up. Every time I exercise, it's the first thing that hurts. It also makes a very noticeable clicking sound when I fully bend it backwards (although doing that doesn't hurt).

The Larch

I have a bad ankle that I twisted pretty badly playing basketball when I was 15. It never fully healed and last year I injured it again at the gym. Fortunately it doesn't hurt much normally, but in some ocasions it does, after standing for a long time or walking a lot.

Caliga

Blew out my left elbow in Vietnam at Khe Sanh.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

sbr

I broke both of my thumbs (not at the same time) paying basketball when I was young. There wasn't much they could do about it and they still hurt and get fatigued pretty quickly, which can be a problem as an electrician.

alfred russel

When I was two, my parents went to pick me up from some sort of two year old school, and when the teacher called me over to go home, they found I had a rather large cut on my cheek. It left a faint but definitely visible scar. No one knows how it happened.

I have so much fun telling people stories about how I got the scar. :) It really works well in dimly lit bars when people don't notice the scar. I can tell some horseshit story that involves someone cutting my face, people are like, "Did that really happen?" And I'm like, "Yeah, and if you look hard enough, you can even see the scar right here", and then they look close and are like, "whoa."  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Smashed my head tobogganing as a teen in a truly freak accident. Left me with a small and faint scar, and a damaged inner ear - which sometimes causes bouts of vertigo - only when my head is in a certain position.

Yep, I have ... brain damage.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

I've got a ton.

- In the first place we moved to in South Jersey, we had an old couch with a protruding nail.  Mom and Dad kept bugging the landlord to get rid of it, but he kept dragging his heels until one day, I tripped and slashed my face- another centimeter closer, and I would have lost an eye.  At that point, Mom and Dad pushed the couch out of a second-story window.  Still have the faint scar on my face, probably part of my socialization problem since it shows up when I get mad and go red in the face.

- When I learned to ride a bike, I was on a basketball court with about an inch and a half drop to the dirt around it.  Since I learned to ride before I learned to stop, I took a fairly nasty spill and ended up with a spoke through the knee.

- Speaking of impalement, I managed to step on a sewing needle that had fallen on the floor in such a way that it went through one toe, bent around, and went through the next one, effectively stapling them together.

- Huge scar on the inside of my elbow, down near the bottom of the bicep.  Don't remember what gave it to me, but it was nasty- been there since I was a kid, and it's still about 2cm by 1mm.  That severe, I would have come pretty close to severing a tendon.

- Nose is crooked from being broken several times, once Giraldo-style where I bent over the side of a chair and ended up with the chair on my face and then lost a good deal of blood in the bathtub from the broken capillaries.

- I have half a right wrist; I broke it when I was 12 climbing a low wall, about a centimeter of bone snapped away cleanly, but the orthopedist didn't pin it.  The hand now permanently sits on an angle, and is basically arthritic since half the joint is missing.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Playing pickup basketball in college.  Went up for a jump shot, came down on someone's foot.  I could hear the ligaments snapping.

I walked with a sort of club foot for about 20 years, but after rehabbing it (again) I haven't really noticed it much.

viper37

Quote from: Brazen on September 10, 2015, 04:14:41 AM
Everyone's got one. That old injury that starts flaring up about this time of year when the weather gets colder and damper. The twinge that makes sleeping difficult and getting up even harder. What's yours?

I damaged my shoulder ligaments doing a forward pavement dive while out training for the London Marathon back in 2010. I didn't go to the doctor immediately as I was starting a new job the very next day. I had physio for a while but (of course) didn't keep up the exercises. It was so bad I had to use my other hand to move my arm from keyboard to mouse ot to shake hands, and couldn't open doors or undo my bra for months.

It's just started flaring up again. It was too painful in the neck/shoulder/upper back area this morning I physically couldn't lift my head from my pillow and had to roll out of bed  :pinch:
back problem.  A crate of windows fell on me when I was 14yo, I tried to keep it standing upright, made an arc with my back, had problems since then every now and then.
Also, recurring back and leg problem on my right side since my last ATV fall.
Oh, and the constant headaches and now dizyness whenever I try to train.
My therapist says I should listen to my body.  I think it says to stay on the couch, and don't move 'til the age of retreat.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.