News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird Internet Problem?

Started by mongers, September 09, 2015, 08:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Have trouble connecting to most internet sites, Languish is one of the few that works, along with wiki and my supermarket, most news and finance sites I can't connect to.   :hmm:

Is this just my set-up or are others having issues? :unsure:

edit:
router checks out as does internet connection.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

OK I might have found an answer, apparently BT main provider of UK domestic broadband network, is upgrading loads of 'telephone exchanges' over the next few weeks, appears it's happening to one about 15-20 miles away, maybe that's the one serving my town, thought there are others nearer. And I assume these upgrades, will happen at night.

edit:
if this is the cause, it was nice of my ISP to notify people, not. Eventually found mention of it nested in the service status page of their website.

mongers

OK it wasn't that, but this:

Major' outage at Plusnet borks Brits' browsing, irate folk finger DNS
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/major_plusnet_outage_dns_goes_titsup/

Major' outage at Plusnet borks Brits' browsing, irate folk finger DNS
Apparent snafu leaves people unable to watch cat videos at 5am. The horror!
By Alexander J Martin, 10 Sep 2015

Plusnet, the internet service provider, has suffered a "Major Service Incident" which started on Wednesday night. The outage continued until this morning.

Users are complaining that they cannot visit a number of websites. Some were able to mitigate the TITSUP by changing their DNS provider.

I really must download some youtube cat videos just in case this happens again.  :bowler:

Liep

Or become civil and get a smartphone that can double as an internet backup. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on September 10, 2015, 08:08:42 AM
Or become civil and get a smartphone that can double as an internet backup. :P

Oh I have one of those, but can't be arsed to use it much.  :blush: