Motorists alerted over upcoming ban on smoking in cars to prevent surge in fines

Started by garbon, September 09, 2015, 08:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I'm glad my life got to be at least half over (and maybe more!) before the nanny state took over.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Quote from: Fate on September 09, 2015, 07:59:11 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on September 09, 2015, 05:56:26 PM
what's the research on permanent damage from second hand smoke in short intervals? honest question - the only stories i've ever heard involve employees working for decades in a smoke environment.

if there is no permanent damage from short intervals, then why ban it? obesity has to cause greater societal harm at this point than smoking. so few people smoke that this feels like beating a dying horse.

smoking is way worse for your health than run of the mill obesity.

On an individual basis sure...but as an overall public health problem, maybe obesity has overtaken smoking?

Fate

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 09, 2015, 08:11:38 PM
Quote from: Fate on September 09, 2015, 07:59:11 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on September 09, 2015, 05:56:26 PM
what's the research on permanent damage from second hand smoke in short intervals? honest question - the only stories i've ever heard involve employees working for decades in a smoke environment.

if there is no permanent damage from short intervals, then why ban it? obesity has to cause greater societal harm at this point than smoking. so few people smoke that this feels like beating a dying horse.

smoking is way worse for your health than run of the mill obesity.

On an individual basis sure...but as an overall public health problem, maybe obesity has overtaken smoking?

Certainly it's possible in aggregate. There are way more obese people than smokers in the US. Globally though, smoking by far is the greater cause of preventable mortality of the two.

Monoriu

mongers

I'm always bemused when I pass people who're smoking whilst driving, firstly the revenue on gas means they might be paying 1 pound in tax for every 10 miles they drive, plus the duty/revenue on a 20-pack of cigarettes is now approaching 5 pounds.  :bleeding:

It's like they're publicly stating they wish to die poor and doubly trying to bring that about by both smoking and trying to operate fast moving machine with often just one hand.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

QuoteResearch has shown that around a third of children who are exposed to smoke in vehicles don't feel able to ask the person to stop because they feel frightened or embarrassed.

:bleeding: