Homeopathy conference ends in chaos after delegates take hallucinogenic drug

Started by Hamilcar, September 08, 2015, 03:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2015, 09:32:31 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2015, 02:24:20 AM
For the record, my mum is a homeopathy afficionado (she used to practice as a "normal" doctor until her mum died of very painful cancer and she suffered a crisis of "faith" in Western medicine). This is not to say she would use homeopathy to cure cancer, but I see nothing harmful in her reading books on it and taking sugar pills (and feeding them to my dad) when she gets common cold or a bruise.

She certainly does less harm than if she was sending her money to some preacher or church.

http://www.antivaccinebodycount.com/Anti-Vaccine_Body_Count/Home.html

Raz, there are a significant number of anti-vaxxers who do not subscribe to homeopathy.  The vast majority of homeopaths subscribe to it, but the movementpsychosis is much broader than them (unfortunately).

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2015, 08:35:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 08:17:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2015, 08:12:46 AM
What rather rude view. Just think how it is when people say that about the 'magic' of Christianity.

I would indeed raise an eyebrow if somebody claimed I could do magic with Christianity.

:rolleyes:

I don't think there is anything surprising about the idea that there are miracles in Christianity.

Anyway, my point is again, I think it is rather rude to hold someone in contempt for believing in quasi-magical things.

Yeah, this is my main beef with Valmy's posts in this thread. He seems offended when, say, viking says he holds people who believe in divinity of Jesus in contempt - that is no different than believing that tarot cards are magical.

Martinus

For the record, my mum is a homeopathy afficionado (she used to practice as a "normal" doctor until her mum died of very painful cancer and she suffered a crisis of "faith" in Western medicine). This is not to say she would use homeopathy to cure cancer, but I see nothing harmful in her reading books on it and taking sugar pills (and feeding them to my dad) when she gets common cold or a bruise.

She certainly does less harm than if she was sending her money to some preacher or church.

My mom is not an anti-vaxxer.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2015, 10:15:00 AM
Yeah, this is my main beef with Valmy's posts in this thread. He seems offended when, say, viking says he holds people who believe in divinity of Jesus in contempt - that is no different than believing that tarot cards are magical.

Well I apologize for misrepresenting myself then since I have no problem with that. 11B4V has said this no? I am not even slightly offended. Your beef is misplaced. That was never my issue with you or Viking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 08:40:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2015, 08:35:21 AM
I don't think there is anything surprising about the idea that there are miracles in Christianity.

Anyway, my point is again, I think it is rather rude to hold someone in contempt for believing in quasi-magical things.

Well it totally depends on how things play out. The contempt comes into play when the magical stuff is used as an excuse to avoid taking responsibility for things. And there is nothing rude about thinking things I hope.

Just like if somebody was sitting around not doing shit just waiting for God to magic their problems away, when there is plenty of shit they should be doing, I would suggest they are missing the point. If you are using Tarot Cards to gain inspiration then sure, but don't tell me 'I was going to apply for that job but the Tarot cards said it was a bad idea'. Um take another reading.

Would you hold an orthodox Jew in contempt if he said "I was going to clean up my flat, but my holy texts said I should not as it was Saturday"?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2015, 10:18:30 AM
Would you hold an orthodox Jew in contempt if he said "I was going to clean up my flat, but my holy texts said I should not as it was Saturday"?

Yes I would find that pretty irresponsible if he used that as an excuse to avoid responsibility to keep his flat clean. It is not like he is not aware of what Saturday means in his religion. You seem pretty desperately grasping at straws here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2015, 10:22:19 AM
Who knew Marti and I could be more open-minded than the Vster? :hmm:

Am I known for being open-minded? How nice.

I mean I do all the woo-woo hippie stuff all the time. I do the meditation and do have Tarot Cards and taken readings on things. But you need to understand that stuff is there to feed your irrational mind and to find new ways of looking at things. They themselves have no magical powers.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 10:25:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2015, 10:22:19 AM
Who knew Marti and I could be more open-minded than the Vster? :hmm:

Am I known for being open-minded? How nice.

I mean I do all the woo-woo hippie stuff all the time. I do the meditation and do have Tarot Cards and taken readings on things. But you need to understand that stuff is there to feed your irrational mind and to find new ways of looking at things. They themselves have no magical powers.

Than us two hags? I'd think so.

Well I don't really judge on that. If someone wants to take in some hokey spiritual advice to help them make decisions, I don't really mind much.  It isn't like human intuition is some great, infallible source.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2015, 10:16:17 AM

My mom is not an anti-vaxxer.

Okay, here https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/use-of-homeopathy-kills-child/  Now show me where the act of donating money to a preacher killed someone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 10:20:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2015, 10:18:30 AM

Yes I would find that pretty irresponsible if he used that as an excuse to avoid responsibility to keep his flat clean. It is not like he is not aware of what Saturday means in his religion. You seem pretty desperately grasping at straws here.

Ok so your statement earlier about Tarot was just inaccurate. If your position is "I would hold someone who avoided responsibility through unjustified dependency on an external factor" then it is neither very problematic nor particularly unique - though not sure why you needed to single out Tarot.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2015, 10:36:14 AM
Well it kind of depends upon who the preacher is.

It does not matter what kind of preacher it is.  Marty said giving money to a church, so someone has to be harmed simply by giving money, not how the church spends it.  I can not think of anyone who has died from giving money.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017