And we're back!

Main Menu

Greece Tips

Started by Queequeg, August 30, 2015, 08:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

So I'm in Greece.

It's beautiful.

I'm in Crete for a bit, and the lack of Byzantine stuff is a bit depressing, but I plan on getting up to the Mani and the North-East pretty soon.  Thessalonika is very high on my to-do list.

Anyone have any tips?  What are good wines?  I don't know wine very well, so start w basics please.

Also.  The girls are incredibly, wonderfully pretty, but judging by my lack of tinder matches that's largely a one-way affection.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on August 30, 2015, 08:28:15 AM
Also.  The girls are incredibly, wonderfully pretty, but judging by my lack of tinder matches that's largely a one-way affection.

:console:

Though it could also be they're less likely to use the app than girls back home.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Will you be going overland from the Mani to Macedonia?

Queequeg

That seems like a long trip, considering that for what I'm interested in Attica, Boeotia, and Thessalonia  don't seem the best places. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Richard Hakluyt

I would think that Monemvasia is a must for you.

You could cross over to Lakonia from the Mani, maybe visit Mistra and then go to Monemvasia.

You should drink some retsina if you haven't tried it yet, nasty stuff but very cheap. Last time I was in Greece I drank a lot of Nemean wine, still pretty cheap but tasty.

Maladict

Yes, Mistra and Monemvasia for sure.

Quote from: Queequeg on August 30, 2015, 10:07:46 AM
That seems like a long trip, considering that for what I'm interested in Attica, Boeotia, and Thessalonia  don't seem the best places. 

Really? Daphni, Hosios Loukas and Meteora would not make the cut?

Admiral Yi

Retsina is the only Deadbeat wine I know. 

Capetan Mihali

Chania is beautifully Venetian, if a bit overrun with Northern Europeans doing their thing.  The innkeeper where I stayed a decade ago was an old man who pulled out his British medals for running out into the fields as a 14 year old and taking out German paratroopers with a pitchfork while they were tangled up in their chutes. 

Do you have a car?  Head for Sfakia, it's the most hardcore traditional Cretan mountain village out there.  There are some really great secluded beaches on the Libyan Sea.  And don't bother with retsina, just hit the tsikoudia.  It's like a rougher grappa, if that makes it sound appealing.  We had water bottles filled up with the stuff by a defrocked monk, who was also selling delicious honey near a monastery swarming with Russian tourist-pilgrims.

And don't forget the Kazantzakis Museum. :)  Find an English copy of Freedom And Death (titled, incidentally, Capetan Mihali, more or less, in the Greek :whistle:).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

I read Freedom and Death in Turkey, appropriately on the Aegean.  It's wonderful.

Where is the Kazantzakis museum?

I'll try to make it to Sfakia. 

I actually really like Chania.  I tend to prefer Ottoman-Byzantine residential architecture (http://www.yedekcioglukonak.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/safranbolu-bg1.jpg) but the city has really grown on me.  There's a ton of Greek tourists.

Which inn?  I want to meet this man.

Ευχαριστώ , Μιχάλη.

Caliga

Spellus, you just there on vacation or what?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

I'm going to be teaching English in either Turkey or Georgia for a year before I do PhD crap. I'm getting my certificate here beforehand. 

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Queequeg on August 31, 2015, 08:16:49 AM
I'm going to be teaching English in either Turkey or Georgia for a year before I do PhD crap. I'm getting my certificate here beforehand. 

Dude, I taught English in Georgia for 2 years, and I know some really cool people who are doing the same in Istanbul. I'd be happy to answer any questions/put you in touch with them.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

Retsina was 3 Euros a bottle at a place called Well of the Turk and I got three bottles and my head regrets this decision.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Queequeg on September 03, 2015, 02:09:44 AM
Retsina was 3 Euros a bottle at a place called Well of the Turk and I got three bottles and my head regrets this decision.

You'll never have to drink it again though  :D