News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Original Wailers

Started by Savonarola, June 25, 2009, 08:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The Original Wailers are coming to a club by me in August.  Has anyone seen them in concert?  I'm interested to know if they're any good; or just a pathetic attempt to continue to make a living off Bob Marley.

Here's the band's link:  http://www.originalwailers.com/

As near as I can tell the only member of The Wailers is Junior Marvin; Al Anderson joined Bob Marley after Bunny Wailer and Peter Tosh had gone off on their own. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2009, 08:16:40 AM
I'm interested to know if they're any good; or just a pathetic attempt to continue to make a living off Bob Marley.

More like the latter, I fear. They played over here a few weeks ago, and the review was not glowing. No original material, all songs were Bob Marley covers, and IIRC it said that only a couple of them got to play with him at all. The "real" Wailers are called "The Wailers Band" nowadays.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on June 25, 2009, 09:21:15 AM
More like the latter, I fear. They played over here a few weeks ago, and the review was not glowing. No original material, all songs were Bob Marley covers, and IIRC it said that only a couple of them got to play with him at all. The "real" Wailers are called "The Wailers Band" nowadays.

That's what I was afraid of; thanks for letting me know.

The same club is featuring Love, The Electric Prunes, and Dr. John this summer.  Is it 1968 again?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2009, 10:20:54 AM

Mind you, that doesn't mean that they're not good musicians, and if you know what to expect it can be a nice gig to attend.  :)

saskganesh

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2009, 10:20:54 AM

The same club is featuring Love, The Electric Prunes, and Dr. John this summer.  Is it 1968 again?  :unsure:

Maclean and Arthur Lee are both dead, so I would skip on Love. I assume Dr. John is still the Nighttripper. And the Prunes have 3/4 of the first band, are legit and have gotten some good reviews. The latter two may be worth seeing if you are into it, and the grapevine says they are playing well.
humans were created in their own image

Savonarola

Quote from: saskganesh on June 25, 2009, 11:44:04 AM
Maclean and Arthur Lee are both dead, so I would skip on Love. I assume Dr. John is still the Nighttripper. And the Prunes have 3/4 of the first band, are legit and have gotten some good reviews. The latter two may be worth seeing if you are into it, and the grapevine says they are playing well.

I saw Dr. John a few years ago.  He still puts on a great show.

Unfortunately Love and the Prunes are playing the same night.  I do want to see the Prunes, but Love without Lee and MacLean is like the Spiders from Mars without David Bowie and Mick Ronson.

saskganesh

see the Prunes. they have been writing new material this decade.  :lol:
humans were created in their own image