Danes face up to 6 years jail for telling people how to illegally stream

Started by Syt, August 23, 2015, 12:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2015/08/two-danes-face-up-to-six-years-in-jail-for-explaining-how-to-use-popcorn-time/

QuoteTwo Danes face up to six years in jail for explaining how to use Popcorn Time

Another case of disproportionate punishment just because copyright is involved.

Danish police have arrested two men alleged to be the operators of sites related to the open-source program Popcorn Time, which adds a user-friendly front-end to a BitTorrent client to make the whole process of finding, downloading, and viewing video torrents extremely simple. The two domains, Popcorntime.dk and Popcorn-time.dk, have now been shut down, but copies on the Wayback Machine show that both were merely information sites, and neither offered material that infringed on copyrights, nor any version of the Popcorn Time software itself. Both sites warned users about potential copyright infringement issues.

The men are accused of "distributing knowledge and guides on how to obtain illegal content online," as TorrentFreak reports, and have apparently pleaded guilty. Moreover, distributing information is considered such a serious violation of Danish copyright law that "they could face punishment under section 299b of the penal code—offenses which carry a maximum prison term of six years." That seems an extraordinarily harsh and disproportionate upper limit for merely explaining how to use a program, just because copyright is involved in some way.

A similar case has already been heard in the UK, where it was found that sites offering downloads of the Popcorn Time software contributed to the copyright infringement that results from its use. In April of this year, the English High Court ordered a number of sites to be blocked for this reason. However, in that case the sites enabled the program to be downloaded directly, whereas in Denmark, the accused simply offered basic information about how the software worked and could be used, together with links to other sites where the program could be obtained.

The fact that such a tangential involvement in copyright-infringing activities could lead to criminal charges and years in prison shows how hard the film industry is trying to stamp out the use of Popcorn Time, which is difficult to attack using conventional lawsuits because of how it is produced and made available freely. That desire was also evident in a recent case in Oregon where, unusually, end-users of the program, rather than infringing sites, were targeted. Most users of Popcorn Time are probably unaware that as soon as they begin viewing a torrent using the software, they are also making it available to others. That makes it possible to find out IP addresses, as in the Oregon case, and can land them in legal trouble—something only mentioned in passing by the now-defunct Danish sites.

I'm guessing that Denmark has similar laws as Germany, where you can be held responsible for the outgoing links from your site (in this case to the Popcorn Time download site)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2015, 01:17:57 PM
So they facilitated crime?

By that logic someone operating a shooting range facilitates murder.

Besides, "facilitating crime" is not a crime - aiding and abetting is. And for aiding and abetting to be punishable, one has to have clear intent and aiding and abetting must be linked to a specific crime or an attempt - not abstract.

garbon

There are many reasons that someone might want to learn how to fire a gun. There aren't many varying reasons on why someone would want to learn about an interface for downloading torrents.  They knew what was going to happen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2015, 01:31:15 PM

The gift that keeps on giving.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2015, 01:34:15 PM
There are many reasons that someone might want to learn how to fire a gun. There aren't many varying reasons on why someone would want to learn about an interface for downloading torrents.  They knew what was going to happen.

Not all torrents are illegal, I presume.

Tamas

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2015, 01:41:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2015, 01:34:15 PM

Not all torrents are illegal, I presume.

On PopcornTime they are.

Quote from: Tamas on August 23, 2015, 01:49:04 PM
How much do you get in Denmark for armed robbery?

Up to 6 years and 10 years for very violent robbery.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on August 23, 2015, 01:49:04 PM
How much do you get in Denmark for armed robbery?

Really depends on the amount of loot at the place you are robbing.  :homestar:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2015, 01:17:57 PM
So they facilitated crime?

No, you just have to remember to derange the customers before they leave.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2015, 01:35:34 PM

:lol: I briefly considered responding to this, and then I noticed which poster said it. :blush:
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 23, 2015, 10:14:10 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2015, 01:35:34 PM

:lol: I briefly considered responding to this, and then I noticed which poster said it. :blush:
:yeahright:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Tamas

Then again, explaining how to do something that COULD result in copyright violations should not carry the same sentence as armed robbery.
I am not saying it shouldn't be punished, but some measure of proportionality should be kept.