News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

D&D Classic Gold Box games come to GOG

Started by Arvoreen, August 20, 2015, 12:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Do NOT play Hillsfar. I cannot stress that enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I hope they will also bring the silver box games. So I can finish Champions of Krynn (Disk E was broken for me on C64). :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I finished Champions of Krynn. I won't spoil it because I was in Jr High and cannot remember anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Also, Secret of the Silver Blades had one of my favorite D&D covers. :wub:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

It has to be the biggest continuous dungeon crawl in gaming history. I loved it.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2015, 12:53:36 PM
Do NOT play Hillsfar. I cannot stress that enough.
Elaborate.

I remember playing Champions of Krynn and Death Knights of Krynn and loving them both.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

It is not an actual gold box game. It is a first person puzzle game. An incredibly bad one. The feeling of despair and betrayal I felt in 1989 still haunts me.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2015, 01:50:41 PM
It is not an actual gold box game. It is a first person puzzle game. An incredibly bad one.
A what now? :hmm:  Like Myst?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2015, 01:52:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2015, 01:50:41 PM
It is not an actual gold box game. It is a first person puzzle game. An incredibly bad one.
A what now? :hmm:  Like Myst?

Sort of. Only with very bad graphics and lame attempts to integrate D&D mechanics and...

Look it is shit and not in any way related to the others in the series gameplay-wise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsfar

QuoteAn even stronger opinion was expressed by the website Console Classix, which reviewed the NES version of Hillsfar, where reviewer John Cooper declared that Hillsfar was the "Worst Role-Playing Game Ever Made."

Trust this Mr. John Cooper. He knows.

Valmy

I got Pools of Radiance when I was 11 and I did not really know what to name my guys. So I had only played basic D&D so I pulled out my a sourcebook for all my names:

Man the chain mail bikini aesthetic was such a big deal in the 80s.

Anyway what I didn't know was that Karameikos was supposed to be Slavic so all my characters in the Gold Box games always had Slavic sounding names. I had no idea that was ethnic at all, I thought they were fantasy sounding names. Aleksander, Yuri, and Mikhail were pretty heroic adventurers though let me tell you.

Still with Mikhail Gorbachev around you think I would have noticed.

celedhring

The only game I owned from all the ones listed is Unlimited Adventures. I'm tempted.

I also had Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, I liked that one.

Darth Wagtaros

I finished The CHampions and Death Knights of Krynn (before reading the books so I had only a vague idea of what was going on) and the Savage Frontier games.  I never finished most of the others. In one case because my mother 'cleaned' the hard drive and cost me Pool of Radiance 75% through the game. 
PDH!

Valmy

It annoyed me how much the CoK and DKoK borrowed from the books. It was almost as if they were made for fanboys of them. It seemed like you grouped with every major character at least once. My memory could be slightly exaggerating that however :P

So did everybody else go crazy banging their head up against the huge battle in Sokol Keep? That was when I discovered Elves could not be raised from the dead.

Darth Wagtaros

That and the fight against the ogres and trolls in the Rope Guild.

Took a lot of sleep spells in both battles.
PDH!