ISIS Behead Palmyra Archaeologist Khaled al-Assad And Hang His Body From Ruins

Started by Martinus, August 19, 2015, 07:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

You may be joking but I seriously think we should pursue detente with Iran and try to ally with the Iranians.  Iran is powerful and Iranians are cool and the chicks are hot.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Crazy_Ivan80

no amount of IS-killing will matter unless you destroy the problem at it's roots. And those roots are at the very least Wahabism, and at the most of what Mo-mo did after he got kicked out of Mecca for being the ass-tard he was (the stories of how Medina became Medina are illuminating to say the least, and not in a pro-islam/pro-mohammed fashion).
But destroying Wahabism might be enough to do the trick given that there are a number of groups (big and small) that seem to have managed to get rid of the crazy that's in the religion.

But it's not going to happen, so I guess we'll see the results in a few decades and after a few dozen million dead.  :glare: What a waste.

Norgy

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2015, 02:27:00 PM
You may be joking but I seriously think we should pursue detente with Iran and try to ally with the Iranians.  Iran is powerful and Iranians are cool and the chicks are hot.

I am not joking. Not about this.

Valmy

The only reason to be worried about the Iranians is the whole 'nuke Israel off the map' thing. If they just want to push Israel around a bit alright but lets not go crazy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Also I have this vision of how this will go down if we back Iran and they go after ISIS. We will start hearing stories about how 15 ISIS militants destroyed five Iranian Revolutionary Guard Divisions and now have all their stuff. That is normally how this tends to go for us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 02:48:21 PM
The only reason to be worried about the Iranians is the whole 'nuke Israel off the map' thing. If they just want to push Israel around a bit alright but lets not go crazy.
That's just rhetoric.  Iran is never gonna do that.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2015, 02:27:00 PM

Do you want to pursue detente with Iran and make kissy faces with the Ayatollahs, or do you want to push for regime change?  The attempted Green Revolution wasn't that long ago...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 02:50:21 PM
Also I have this vision of how this will go down if we back Iran and they go after ISIS. We will start hearing stories about how 15 ISIS militants destroyed five Iranian Revolutionary Guard Divisions and now have all their stuff. That is normally how this tends to go for us.
:lol:

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2015, 02:50:44 PM
Do you want to pursue detente with Iran and make kissy faces with the Ayatollahs, or do you want to push for regime change?  The attempted Green Revolution wasn't that long ago...
I've stated before when it comes to this stuff that I am a complete pragmatist.  As long as a foreign regime is helping us, I don't care what they do to their own people.  I know that is in some ways an abhorrent moral stance, but I think it's the job of a country to protect its own best interests at all times even if you are forsaking the rights of others.  Obviously I would like Iran to be a functional Western-style democracy, but the fact that it's not doesn't have any bearing on how I think we should deal with the Iranian state.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 02:50:21 PM
:hmm: Maybe we should ally with Russia.

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 19, 2015, 02:30:41 PM
no amount of IS-killing will matter unless you destroy the problem at it's roots. And those roots are at the very least Wahabism, and at the most of what Mo-mo did after he got kicked out of Mecca for being the ass-tard he was (the stories of how Medina became Medina are illuminating to say the least, and not in a pro-islam/pro-mohammed fashion).
But destroying Wahabism might be enough to do the trick given that there are a number of groups (big and small) that seem to have managed to get rid of the crazy that's in the religion.

But it's not going to happen, so I guess we'll see the results in a few decades and after a few dozen million dead.  :glare: What a waste.

So your idea is eradicate Islam?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2015, 02:55:52 PM
I've stated before when it comes to this stuff that I am a complete pragmatist.  As long as a foreign regime is helping us, I don't care what they do to their own people.  I know that is in some ways an abhorrent moral stance, but I think it's the job of a country to protect its own best interests at all times even if you are forsaking the rights of others.  Obviously I would like Iran to be a functional Western-style democracy, but the fact that it's not doesn't have any bearing on how I think we should deal with the Iranian state.

But Iran is deeply fucked up. Its government is profoundly anti western and conservative. The funding of quasi terrorist groups across the region is an issue.

The pragmatic solution is to back Saudi Arabia and get as much as we can out of Egypt.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on August 19, 2015, 03:27:08 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2015, 02:55:52 PM

But Iran is deeply fucked up. Its government is profoundly anti western and conservative. The funding of quasi terrorist groups across the region is an issue.

The pragmatic solution is to back Saudi Arabia and get as much as we can out of Egypt.

At the end of this, it's likely to end up an Iranian client state anyway.  Why not have them pay for it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2015, 03:20:34 PM

so? Evangelise until it's gone. It might take a while but its a perfectly legitimate endgoal.

Barrister

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 19, 2015, 03:48:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2015, 03:20:34 PM

so? Evangelise until it's gone. It might take a while but its a perfectly legitimate endgoal.

This does appeal to the inner Evangelical Christian in me. :w00t:

As a foreign policy objective it does seem fraught with difficulty. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.