News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Yankees finally win Civil War on UT Campus

Started by Valmy, August 13, 2015, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/08/13/ut-will-remove-jefferson-davis-statue/

Somewhere George Washington Breckenridge is smiling (the pro-Union philanthropic father of UT, his big rival was George Washington Littlefield who put all the statues in). I am glad this day finally came I always had to powerfully restrain the desire to vandalize that statue every time I walked past it.

QuoteJust days after an advisory panel recommended the University of Texas at Austin relocate some or all of its statues of Confederate leaders, UT-Austin President Gregory Fenves announced that the statue of Confederate President Jefferson Davis will soon have a new home.

UT is relocating the Davis statue to an exhibit in the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History. Four other statues the panel considered relocating — including ones of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Albert Sidney Johnston —  will remain on the university's South Mall, but Fenves will consider adding explanatory plaques to place them in historical context.

"While every historical figure leaves a mixed legacy, I believe Jefferson Davis is in a separate category," Fenves wrote in a letter to the UT-Austin community, "and that it is not in the university's best interest to continue commemorating him. Davis had few ties to Texas; he played a unique role in the history of the American South that is best explained and understood through an educational exhibit."

In a museum. Just where all that shit belongs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I think a Jefferson Davis statue has a place on public display.  They just need to depict him as he was dressed when he tried to escape in 1865-- as a woman.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2015, 11:33:32 AM
I think a Jefferson Davis statue has a place on public display.  They just need to depict him as he was dressed when he tried to escape in 1865-- as a woman.

You are into some weird kinky stuff.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Sounds like I hit a nerve.  Someone's gone local!

:P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

The Minsky Moment

Nothing wrong with honoring Jeff Davis' impressive contributions to the Union cause.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

I'm shocked that a country founded on treason has a soft spot for traitors.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadBurgerMaker

Someone somewhere will still be mad about it.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 13, 2015, 12:32:04 PM
Someone somewhere will still be mad about it.

Oh they are. It is censorship to move a statue into a museum.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

They'll just need to put a huge trigger warning on the entrance the the museum and the problem will be fixed.  Trigger warnings fix everything.

alfred russel

That would be transphobic.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Lettow77

That's not really how it happened, though.

Poor Jefferson Davis- Lee or even Forrest will find their ready adherents, but precious and few are those who will carry water for His Excellency.  He was a stiff man and a vain man, hard to love but one who treasured his friends greatly, was a tireless public servant, a skilled orator, a capable statesman and military mind.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Lettow77

He treasured his friends greatly, after all. He was really wrongheaded about it, but his position was such that he had a certain amount of understandable sympathy for unpopular leaders doing basically as they should and being criticized from below.

When he sent Joseph Johnston out there to look at the situation with a view to taking command himself, ole goober had nothing but praise for Bragg. What can you do?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'