Saudi Arabia will likely go broke before the US oil industry buckles

Started by jimmy olsen, August 06, 2015, 07:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 07, 2015, 01:30:59 AM
Uh, no.  It's not the same as ISIS.  Case in point, there are millions of foreign workers who are not being sold as slaves or being beheaded.  There are thousands of US citizens there.  I imagine the State Department would have some complaints if they were all beheaded or sold as slaves.

Actually, beheadings are common for apostates and the like; the conditions of foreign workers (especially those menial) are atrocious and often compared to slavery (they have their passport frequently taken away, are beaten by their masters and cannot leave - but the authorities turn blind eye to the abuse).

Crazy Ivan and Larch spelled out other similarities. So, at the end of the day, the only difference is that the US deals with the Saudis but it does not deal with the ISIS - which is kind of the point.

Martinus

Caliga

I already kinda knew all of this, but still....  :wacko:

It's like Saudi Arabia is in a medieval time warp or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Adultery - not a federal crime in the US?  What does that mean?  It is a crime in some states?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Also not unenforceable.  Might as well say not a crime.

Some of those crimes easily justify the death penalty.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Oh, and I'm also questioning why "treason" doesn't get a skull and crossbones.  It's still on the books and nothing has suggested it's unconstitutional, right?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

A buddy of mine in Houston has an oil industry buckle.  It's big.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2015, 10:17:27 AM
Oh, and I'm also questioning why "treason" doesn't get a skull and crossbones.  It's still on the books and nothing has suggested it's unconstitutional, right?

The implementing law (18 US Code 2381) does specify death as a possible punishment, so you are correct that it should have the skull and crossbones.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

It is possible that if Saudi's were to go down, thing might become even worse there?  I guess.  But let's try anyway and see what happens.  :)

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2015, 10:51:48 AM
It is possible that if Saudi's were to go down, thing might become even worse there?

I think things would become way worse.  They're the devil we know.  But if we were to have enough oil to keep us running, I admit it would be interesting to wall them off and see what happens.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2015, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2015, 10:51:48 AM
It is possible that if Saudi's were to go down, thing might become even worse there?

I think things would become way worse.  They're the devil we know.  But if we were to have enough oil to keep us running, I admit it would be interesting to wall them off and see what happens.
Yes, they are the devil we know.  And what we know is that this devil is essentially a settled down ISIS state, and that this devil spreads Wahhabism all the over globe.  Can we get to know a different devil, please?