News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Any Languish Aryans?

Started by Syt, July 31, 2015, 03:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Hung Aryans :unsure:

At any rate, we don't need Sect Aryan violence.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I don't think garbon meant anything about a rope.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 31, 2015, 05:04:25 AM
I don't think garbon meant anything about a rope.

Interesting, I didn't think of that definition of hung. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Archy

Grey Fox

No, I am not Hindu.

I work with one tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Besides Gups perhaps? Don't know. Now, Arians, that would be more original.

garbon

I think it would be a mistake to refer to contemporary Indians as Aryans but maybe that's just me.

Duque de Bragança

No worries, that's just you. 

:secret: Indo-Aryan is still used in linguistics.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2015, 06:40:31 AM

Which is, of course not the same, and I also don't think that most people would refer to groups of people by linguistic only designations. :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2015, 07:08:26 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 31, 2015, 06:40:31 AM

Which is, of course not the same, and I also don't think that most people would refer to groups of people by linguistic only designations. :hmm:

Nice strawman, Indo/Indian and the like are also used as geographic designations as well.
Why don't you go back to your favorite fizzling sugary, alcohol-flavoured, grape juice?

garbon

Were you giving props to the straw man you were going to create?

Yes people general use things like Indo and Indian to refer to modern population. Indo-Aryan as you noted seems to be either linguistic or a term than one might use when making reference to historical Aryan group.  I don't think most people would use Aryan as a designation for Indians.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2015, 06:37:34 AM
I think it would be a mistake to refer to contemporary Indians as Aryans but maybe that's just me.

I once had a client who did. Dunno if I've told this anecdote before, probably have, but anyway. ;)

When I was first starting out, I worked for a partner who did municipal law. One day a client called him, in some distress. Turned out the client wished to build an ethnic community centre in a burb north of Toronto, but was getting terrible grief from the planning authorities - they were treating the client like shit on their shoe. Was this racism? What could be done?

We met with the clients in our boardroom the same day - very dark-skinned people from south India. They were totally perplexed by the level of hostility they were getting. However, it only took a single glance at their application documents to reveal the mystery to us - they had written the cover letter on their letterhead, which included very prominently the name of their org as the "... Aryans". To top it off, the letterhead was ewmbossed with a pattern of swastikas.

These guys were so recently off the boat they had literally no idea why this would be an issue. Significantly, the regulators had never actually seen them - just the paperwork. A couple of phone calls and a brief memo describing the difference between Hindus and Nazis, and the official obstructions melted away.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius