And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on May 15, 2016, 02:58:22 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 15, 2016, 12:34:35 AM
Kinda disappointed that "minor", low-tech races seem pretty darned rare.

Also, in my "despotic human empire", it seems my daughter/heir is 6 years younger than my Emperor. :hmm:

6 years younger than your Empress I could understand (the MB effect), but than the Emperor seems a bit weird.

His heir could be a sibling.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 15, 2016, 03:17:11 AM

Also, in my "despotic human empire", it seems my daughter/heir is 6 years younger than my Emperor. :hmm:

6 years younger than your Empress I could understand (the MB effect), but than the Emperor seems a bit weird.

OK now you're grossing me out. :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

29 hours played since Tuesday. I'd say I got my money's worth despite the flaws.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Do you guys interact with other empires? Only 1 other empire initiates talks with me & it's asking for migration access from all the way accross the galaxy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2016, 07:58:04 AM
Do you guys interact with other empires? Only 1 other empire initiates talks with me & it's asking for migration access from all the way accross the galaxy.

It depends.  If you're neighbors are militarists, hive minds, etc. You'll have a lot of negative interaction. Likeiwse if they're  federation builders or afraid of someone else they'll try to  make friends. If you're stronger then them and they don't feel threatened, they'll ignore you.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Don't remember, but I think the text said "daughter".  :P

That being said...a more robust, detailed CK-like family system for the monarchies/empires would be pretty awesome too.

Zanza

When I hand over newly created colonies to my sectors, they can never upgrade the central building, which also means the colony will never upgrade its other buildings. Is there a way around that? Do I have to manually remove the colonies temporarily from the sector, upgrade the central building and then give it back...? That seems tedious.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 15, 2016, 08:52:53 AM

Don't remember, but I think the text said "daughter".  :P

That being said...a more robust, detailed CK-like family system for the monarchies/empires would be pretty awesome too.

I had started a new game...in this one the heir is 1-year younger.  :lol:

PRC

Quote from: Zanza on May 15, 2016, 12:07:12 PM
When I hand over newly created colonies to my sectors, they can never upgrade the central building, which also means the colony will never upgrade its other buildings. Is there a way around that? Do I have to manually remove the colonies temporarily from the sector, upgrade the central building and then give it back...? That seems tedious.

Not sure but if it's a manual remove just to upgrade that building it would cost you influence as well.

Berkut

Quote from: PRC on May 15, 2016, 12:55:26 PM

Not sure but if it's a manual remove just to upgrade that building it would cost you influence as well.

If you select the colony from the map you should be able to order the upgrade directly
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

No, you can't do upgrades in colonies owned by your sectors.

crazy canuck

I hadn't noticed that before.  What a pain that is.  I wonder if it is WAD so that you have to spend influence points?.  That would be a bad design decision if that is so.

Jaron

The areas of the game that need the most work:

1) Space combat. Right now the winning fleet is high evasion corvettes. I love the idea of small torpedo ships posing a threat to big capital ships, but ultimately I think a fleet of starfighters is not going to pose a huge threat to a fleet of destroyers. Needs to be better balanced.

2) The narrative: One of the great things about Paradox games is the story telling they provide. Stellaris has tons of potential in this area that is unrealized. I've played various different types of governments in Stellaris and, aside from some diplomatic changes and decisions, they all feel the same to me. An oligarchy just feels like a democracy with really long terms. It really feels like more of an elective monarchy. I'd like to see the different government types really change the dynamics of how you play your game.

3) Factions: Need more factions. Could be based on government type. Let monarchies and empires have different dynastic houses. Oligarchies could have wealthy plutocrats. Democracies can have political parties, etc.

4) Leaders: Feel rather pointless to me. I'm just generating leaders to fill empty slots in the UI. Unless they can be given a larger role / some kind of character its about as interesting as the advisors in EU. Which would be fine except they are EVERYWHERE. Governors, scientists, head of state, military leaders. It would be cool if factions auto generated leaders and spending influence created leaders guaranteed to be part of your loyalist faction.

5) Needs more setup options. I should be able to control a lot more about the galaxy I generate than I can currently. Resource richness, fallen empires (which suck btw). AI aggressiveness could use a slider somewhere.

I think what I'm looking for is something a little more dynamic to keep replays fresh. Right now everything about Stellaris feels very procedural.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Agelastus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 15, 2016, 02:17:55 PM

I hadn't noticed that before.  What a pain that is.  I wonder if it is WAD so that you have to spend influence points?.  That would be a bad design decision if that is so.

I think it's fifty/fifty given that the sector is quite happy afterwards to upgrade the administration building to higher levels - it's just the first level it's stuck on.

Of course, sectors are curious beasts anyway; for example, is it WAD that transferring a border post to a sector eliminates the influence cost to your Empire for said border post? And also is it WAD that sectors don't seem to be affected by the planet limit of five worlds that the human player is limited to?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."