Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

One minor complaint about the tech research system:

So I'm just starting the game.  I have to make my initial tech decisions.  Although I see the tech that allows me to build colony ships, for some reason I pick a different tech first, thinking I would take colony ships next.

But once my first tech is done - no colony ships.  Same thing after my second tech.  So I'm sitting there only on my home planet while I can see a neighboring civilization starts encroaching on my borders.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I picked Colony Ships as my first tech because I was afraid that would happen. There's actually a "tutorial quest" of sorts that directs you to take the tech, but it doesn't appear right off the bat. Given that the race for habitable planets is pretty tight, you can get a pretty bad start if you don't pick it immediately and the RNG shafts you.

Other than that, I like the tech tree system. I enjoy the "let's see what I get now" surprise element of opening the screen after completing a tech. Plus, what you get and don't get do shape your path - something which I love. In my first walkthrough I wanted to jump on a nearby civilization, but I had been pretty unlucky with military tech and my ships were pretty outclassed, so I had to put off the war and direct myself towards economic expansion. Then I used that advantage to beat them by sheer numbers. And then I enslaved them.

frunk

It sounds a little goofy that you don't just start with Colony Ships.  Is there a valid reason for wanting to start with a different tech?

celedhring

What bothers me slightly is that the only victory conditions implemented (unless I have missed something) are paint-the-map ones. Coupled with the fact that there's no end-date, it removes the possibility of kinda just playing for the ride or with your own alternative objectives like you can do with the other Paradox games.

Grallon

Does anyone know how to lock out some of the default starting races?  I've modified the base humans and saved them but I don't want to see the other 2 human civilizations appear elsewhere.  I know you can lock out the custom ones but what about the defaults?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jaron

I agree with Berkut. I played for a few hours last night and initially I only claimed mining stations that yielded me energy. But an hour later I had a massive surplus of energy so I just built mining colonies around everything.

My expansion would just yet me more resources I already hold abundantly. I do like that they have special resources. That should make some planets more lucrative and war targets. I found some stone and used it to build new power plants that ended up yielding me something like 20 energy between the two.

I like the basic mechanics of the game but what I really want is some risk, reward and choices. Give me some DEPTH.

An AAR for this game would be extremely boring unless the writer was a gifted story teller like Solymr or Raz.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

celedhring

I agree that the mechanics are much streamlined compared to your usual Paradox game, and the "internal management" seems pretty easy. I think the basic foundation is very strong though, and I guess we can count on DLCs to bring more complexity to the table.

I just spent a tremendously unreasonable amount of time creating a few assorted alien species from movies and shows for my next save  :Embarrass:

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on May 10, 2016, 02:20:17 PM
I agree that the mechanics are much streamlined compared to your usual Paradox game, and the "internal management" seems pretty easy. I think the basic foundation is very strong though, and I guess we can count on DLCs to bring more complexity to the table.

I just spent a tremendously unreasonable amount of time creating a few assorted alien species from movies and shows for my next save  :Embarrass:

Yeah I think it's deliberately pretty streamlined, with deliberate room to add more chrome in the future.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 10, 2016, 02:20:17 PM

The chick in Total Recall is a mutant.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Can the custom races you create show up in your games if you are not playing them?

Habbaku

I've been building robots everywhere, especially on planets that aren't habitable by my puny, organic meatsacks.  Alas, turns out that's a bug.  Robots aren't meant to populate planets all by themselves until you get a robot colony module.  :cry:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on May 10, 2016, 02:36:43 PM
Can the custom races you create show up in your games if you are not playing them?

You can select for every race if it can't, can, or must show up.

celedhring

I have no idea to be honest. In some pre-launch let's plays, in the race selection screen there was an icon next to each custom race that you could click to ensure they would be in the game you were creating, but I can't see nothing of the sort in the released version.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 10, 2016, 03:45:55 PM

I have no idea to be honest. In some pre-launch let's plays, in the race selection screen there was an icon next to each custom race that you could click to ensure they would be in the game you were creating, but I can't see nothing of the sort in the released version.

I see it. :unsure: