News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 09, 2016, 11:23:32 PM
I have to protest, Jaron. I would never have made such an entry-level weeaboo race, especially one holding values so antithetical to the Japanese experience.

Everyone knows your weeaboo niprace is supposed to be xenophobic and collective, while being sedentary rather than nomadic. Nomadic is a heretical blight upon Yukkuri.

Sedentary, Nonadaptive, Decadent are the go-to Yukkuri traits. Agrarian, while wholesome, suggests a vitality and class of toil that is unbecoming to a Yukkuri existence.

Kitsune are magical creatures that travel the land playing tricks on people, or helping them, depending on the specific tale. They don't stay in one place and they aren't known for working in groups. I could have went for the solitary trait, but I liked individual better.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

By all means have fun with Star Fox and friends. I just took exception to being associated with it.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tonitrus

Empire spacing is kinda annoying me so far.  Even on a Large (800 stars) galaxy, ramping the AI Empires all the down to 12...I still have 2 of them no further than 2 systems away?  :rolleyes:

HVC

I purged a conquered enemy and got circled by a new federation opposed to me... so this could be bad lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 10, 2016, 12:36:35 AM
Empire spacing is kinda annoying me so far.  Even on a Large (800 stars) galaxy, ramping the AI Empires all the down to 12...I still have 2 of them no further than 2 systems away?  :rolleyes:

In the London MP stream they mentioned that civilizations are clustered during setup so that no one ends up alone and able to take over a whole spiral arm without opposition.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

celedhring

The fact that habitable planets are not as common as in other space 4xs makes it that you lock horns with other species relatively soon. I was left with no other venues for expansion other than conquest after my 4th colony. True that I was playing in a 600-star galaxy only.

Jaron

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 09, 2016, 11:23:32 PM
I have to protest, Jaron. I would never have made such an entry-level weeaboo race, especially one holding values so antithetical to the Japanese experience.

Everyone knows your weeaboo niprace is supposed to be xenophobic and collective, while being sedentary rather than nomadic. Nomadic is a heretical blight upon Yukkuri.

Sedentary, Nonadaptive, Decadent are the go-to Yukkuri traits. Agrarian, while wholesome, suggests a vitality and class of toil that is unbecoming to a Yukkuri existence.

Protest noted.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

I think I like the game but I'm concerned about a lack of depth. To be fair though I largely was ignoring the quests. Maybe that'll beef up the experience.

I played a couple of hours and I'm ridiculously wealthy and my fleets are the finest in the galaxy (that I've encountered). But...despite my wealth, I have nothing to spend it on. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Darth Wagtaros

Invest in a bigger Palace. That was one thing in the Civ games that I miss (aside from awesome Wonder movies).  I loved improving my palace.

The Order of HYDRA, a militaristic xenophobic regime was born last night. Played for an hour or so. But I was painting so I couldn't get too far into it.
PDH!

Berkut

The game has incredible potential, and a decent amount of that is realized already.

However, I can certainly understand the complaints about the middle game being somewhat lackluster. There doesn't seem to be a lot of hard choices - for the most part, you want to upgrade everything, always, to the extent you can afford to do so, for example. New ships are always better than old ships, and upgrading is cheap, so always upgrade.

A Power Plant II is better than a Power Plant I, so always upgrade them all when you can afford to do so. Etc., etc.

There doesn't seem to be much reason NOT to drop a mining station around every single planet you find that has some resource.

So there doesn't really seem to be a lot of meaningful choices so far as I can tell, so far. But the execution is excellent, the game play is very fun, the combat system seems quite good. I am very pleased with the purchase already.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Solmyr

All those mining stations will cost a fuckton of energy to maintain!

Legbiter

Quote from: Jaron on May 10, 2016, 04:07:40 AM
I think I like the game but I'm concerned about a lack of depth. To be fair though I largely was ignoring the quests. Maybe that'll beef up the experience.

Just went on a genocidal rampage through another neighbor's empire just to complete a quest chain for my local Zoological Society.  :ph34r:

I'm enjoying the game, not one CTD so far. It's fun to play the new Paradox games now when they're fresh and the additive chrome from subsequent patches has yet to sink the ship.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Berkut

Quote from: Solmyr on May 10, 2016, 07:48:15 AM
All those mining stations will cost a fuckton of energy to maintain!

So? Build mining stations around energy producing objects. Build power stations. Those all cost minerals, which you can get from yet more mining stations. Etc., etc.

There isn't any real choice that I can see. It pretty much always makes sense to just build another one - the only "play" is which to build first when you are low on resources.

And that curve seems pretty easy to negotiate until you get to the point that you are cycling through all planets upgrading everything, always, because there are plenty of resources to go around.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on May 10, 2016, 07:48:38 AM
Quote from: Jaron on May 10, 2016, 04:07:40 AM

Just went on a genocidal rampage through another neighbor's empire just to complete a quest chain for my local Zoological Society.   :ph34r:

My Glorious Trumpenreich, ruled by Donald Trump XI, has already subdued two neighboring alien species and stolen their homeworlds.  Their citizens now are slaves that mine for minerals and farm the fields to feed the Glory of Trump. Their remaining planets have formed an alliance against me but their fleets pale in comparison to mine. Soon, the Power of Trump (my fleet's name) will destroy these last vestiges of alien menace. Only humans allowed here, aliens.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.