News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Maybe. I mean I have played a fair bit of EU4 but basically didn't play much EU3. From terrible graphics to every nation is generic, I basically skipped the EU3 period.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Yeah, come to think of it, eu1 was from around 1999. Spending 17 years with the largely the same game is quite a long time

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2016, 09:09:54 AM
Maybe. I mean I have played a fair bit of EU4 but basically didn't play much EU3. From terrible graphics to every nation is generic, I basically skipped the EU3 period.

I played little vanilla, to be frank, but I logged hundreds of hours playing the several mods that addressed he lack of uniqueness the game had.

Valmy

I barely played EU3 or EU4. Every time I play them I just have that 'man EU2 was so much more fun' feeling.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I think EU4 is much better than EU3 and EU2. And with the nation-specific events, decisions and ideas the majors play differently from each other.

garbon

I think with EU4 they got the balance right between the two different approaches of its predecessors and new engine let them do some other cool shit. I do think they are falling into dlc issues plaguing ck2 as well though hasn't got as bad with EU4.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I don't mind the DLC with CK2. They go on sale a lot and it keeps development on the game funded. Pretty impressive for the game Paradox did not think would ever be profitable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

I only mind them because I'd like them to work instead on producing DLC that I would actually like to have. <_<

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2016, 02:24:49 PM
I only mind them because I'd like them to work instead on producing DLC that I would actually like to have. <_<

I really dig the nomads one. They seem to have finally gotten the Steppes right. I haven't gotten the newest one yet though.

dps

I never had any desire to play EUI again after EUII came out, or to play EUII again after EUIII came out.  OTOH, I never bought EUIV, and quit buying the EUII expansions after In Nomine.

Norgy

I did play some EU3, but very little compared to EU II and EU IV.

MEOI and Taxes or whatever the mod is called breathed some life into EU IV for me.

garbon

Oh MEIOU or whatever in EU4 is an example to me of a mod that has lost all sense of reason (aka this is a game that should be fun) in pursuit of their take on 'history.' Like for the longest time they wouldn't take any criticism of Spain being too strong as the population/development numbers they had were all based on 1600 when Spain was at its height of power - but it would just be arbitrary to lower Spanish values down to be more suitable for the start. :rolleyes:

Norgy

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2016, 05:21:23 AM
Oh MEIOU or whatever in EU4 is an example to me of a mod that has lost all sense of reason (aka this is a game that should be fun) in pursuit of their take on 'history.' Like for the longest time they wouldn't take any criticism of Spain being too strong as the population/development numbers they had were all based on 1600 when Spain was at its height of power - but it would just be arbitrary to lower Spanish values down to be more suitable for the start. :rolleyes:

It also has a fairly powerful Eastern Empire.

I haven't played it for yonks, but did have some fun recreating the Eastern Empire after crushing the Ottomans.

Castille is sort of a powerhouse even in vanilla with lots of free CBs and a lot of manpower that I see little historical basis for.
If there's an "under-powered" country, it's actually England in 1453.
Honestly, I think the best start in vanilla is 17th century.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Norgy on March 29, 2016, 04:56:45 AM

I did play some EU3, but very little compared to EU II and EU IV.

MEOI and Taxes or whatever the mod is called breathed some life into EU IV for me.

same here. Have been playing M&T exclusively on EUIV. And close to exclusively on EUIII (after Ubik's (and co) mod went wonky)

Zanza

England was certainly not underpowered a few patches ago when I played them the last time. I could easily defend my French holdings and after about 50 years or so I conquered Paris. Not sure if they nerfed them after that.