News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Hopefully this could let me relive my B5 v. Star Trek v. Star Wars fantasies. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Just from watching the game vids, it seems as if there is a "soul" to this.  That is perhaps the biggest thing.  Games like MOO3 had bells and whistles, but no soul, and so it got played a time or two then died.  This may well be different.  I sure hope so.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jaron

Will there be a Languish MP game for this?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

11B4V

Quote from: Jaron on March 27, 2016, 01:18:18 PM

You can be the Ottoman Confederation.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2016, 01:44:03 PM
Quote from: Jaron on March 27, 2016, 01:18:18 PM

You can be the Ottoman Confederation.

I'm going to play as Kolob.

Eddie Teach

http://rocket-wrangler.com/2014/10/27/lord-xenu-attacks-planet-kolob/

QuoteLord Xenu Attacks Planet Kolob
Lord Xenu, the Intergalactic Space Tyrant, reportedly escaped his mountain imprisonment and has since regained leadership of the Galactic Federation. Xenu has since set his sights on the planet Kolob, and is seeking to overthrow the planet system currently occupied by Elohim, Joseph Smith, and Jesus. It is unclear if the space forces of Kolob are up to the task of defending against the Galactic Federation armada, and if Lord Xenu plans to use the nuclear volcano method against Kolob.

So far on earth, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints have reportedly engaged in talks with the Church of Scientology on how to best handle this latest space threat, as the Scientologists carry the soul matter of the Thetans, who first fell victim to Xenu's attack 75 million years ago. The church of LDS hopes to avoid losing their planet system and becoming the second generation of Thetans.

The latest proposal is that a third church be formed, The Church Of Mormontology, which will utilize the latest prayer technology to aid in the interstellar battle. The Heaven's Gate travelers have offered help from their spacecraft, currently following the Hale Bopp comet, but caution that their vessel is not built for military purposes. The churches have also been in discussions with the Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam to utilize the Mother Plane as a defense against the forces of Xenu.

It does not appear that the battle for Kolob threatens Earth at this point, but Mormontologists warn that if Xenu is successful in taking Kolob, he will set his sights here next.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Martinus

Hopefully, Kolobians could enlist all those Jews Hitler killed.

Jaron

Norgy

One of the things P'dox did right with EU II was that it felt like an unique experience playing as some of the majors.
With EU III that was gone, and no amount of DLC armour for your troops could change that.
EU IV seems like a decent attempt at balancing ahistorical stuff with you still feeling your faction is unique.

I'd like to get my hands on the retard that made the leader names for Norway still.  <_<

If Stellaris can provide an experience where it's me against "them", I'd be quite happy. Otherwise, I'll just mod my own death camps into HoI IV.

PDH

Quote from: Norgy on March 27, 2016, 05:28:59 PM
If Stellaris can provide an experience where it's me against "them", I'd be quite happy. Otherwise, I'll just mod my own death camps into HoI IV.

I hear you.  It is about immersion.  My ex wife (hmmmm, maybe that is it...) said I liked the computer more than her during the EUII days.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

I think eu4 is much better immersion-wise than 3.

I do honestly wonder if it is anything else than nostalgia and our diminished willingness to fill holes with our imagination, as I do also feel nostalgic about aspects of eu2.

Or maybe it is a too streamlined design? I saw that with civ4 and 5. There is no argument civ5 is a much more elegant game design than 4. Yet it has grown stale and boring much, much quicker for me than 4. The latter seemed to have more flavour.

It is probably a combination of both.

Also with eu4 I blame the fact that it tries to (and let's admit, manages to) cater both for gamers looking for historical immersion and pvp-style minmaxers who just want to paint the world map their colour in the most efficient way

Berkut

I simply could not get into EU4 the way I did EU3. I don't really know why. I was totally excited by the idea of it though.

Those EU3 MP games we had were just freaking epic...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

I think that EU4 is a better game than EU3 in pretty much every aspect, yet I have only played it a fraction of how much I played EU3. I believe it's me, though. I might be getting tired of the prototypical Paradox game (although I played CK a lot, too).

Solmyr

That's probably the most likely explanation. We all played EU3 so much that EU4 starts feeling samey, despite being an improvement in many areas.