News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

3 different types of space travel sounds interesting.  Usually 4x space games choose one of those and go with it. Sounds like they couldn't decide which one they liked best so went with them all.

I hope there's an option to play with a  real galaxy map
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2015, 04:46:41 PM
3 different types of space travel sounds interesting. 

Yeah. Business, Coach and Migrant.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

The more I hear about it, the more I'm reminded of the regrettably unfinished Stars! Supernova Genesis.  Too exciting.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

3 different types of space travel sounds interesting.  Usually 4x space games choose one of those and go with it. Sounds like they couldn't decide which one they liked best so went with them all.

I hope there's an option to play with a  real galaxy map

Endless Space had three space travel types too. Actually, it looks like they are the same ones.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on October 20, 2015, 11:58:04 AM
3 different types of space travel sounds interesting. 

Yeah. Business, Coach and Migrant.

Ahem. "Scum" class.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Hansmeister

I hate this aspect
Quoteplanets have building slots, with special bonus slots (more research, more production) and synergies if you place similar buildings next to each other (GalCiv3 style); additionally, you need to assign workers to tiles, like in Civilization, which will then modify the production based on the worker race's abilities

What is it with all these space sims having all this centrally planned economy bs?  The economy should be developing organically based off a planetary resources, technology, and racial characteristics , which the player can nudge through the setting of policies. There should be only a few buildings related to security to be built by players.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 20, 2015, 06:53:25 PM
I hate this aspect
Quoteplanets have building slots, with special bonus slots (more research, more production) and synergies if you place similar buildings next to each other (GalCiv3 style); additionally, you need to assign workers to tiles, like in Civilization, which will then modify the production based on the worker race's abilities

What is it with all these space sims having all this centrally planned economy bs?  The economy should be developing organically based off a planetary resources, technology, and racial characteristics , which the player can nudge through the setting of policies. There should be only a few buildings related to security to be built by players.

Have you tried Distant Worlds?  It essentially does this, but the downside is that the game essentially plays itself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2015, 08:19:28 PM
I hate this aspect

Have you tried Distant Worlds?  It essentially does this, but the downside is that the game essentially plays itself.

This is a paradox game. The emphasis should be on managing internal factions and external diplomacy, not micromanaging building placement.

For example, do you favor trade corporations?  This will lead to cheaper ships and more planetary specialization, but also lead to increased vulnerability to disruptive events since there is more interdependence between systems, also trade corporations will oppose external wars due to risk to trade routes, etc.

Valmy

I hate this aspect

I agree. Building buildings was always the most tiresome part of Paradox games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

It depends on scale. If you end up with some kind of massive empire the system could become unmanageable. But if it isn't too out of control then micromanagement of a planet economy might be a suitable time filler.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

Most 4X games (in fact: most strategy games) have the problem that the player is an all-seeing, ever-present, omnipotent entity (then again, there's plenty players who insist on that level of control or that there's no randomness in games). As Raz says, Distant Worlds allows you to hand off stuff to the AI, plus it also models a private sector of freight hauling, tourism and migration. HoI3 is also an example where you can automate as much or as little as you want. Though Vic2 probably remains the main example in the P'dox catalog for a game where you can only indirectly influence things and otherwise hope for the best ("Why are you building an artillery factory in this shitty backwater state, you stupid capitalists?!")
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on October 21, 2015, 01:08:42 AM
It depends on scale. If you end up with some kind of massive empire the system could become unmanageable. But if it isn't too out of control then micromanagement of a planet economy might be a suitable time filler.

A dull one, sure.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2015, 02:21:09 AM
Quote from: Jaron on October 21, 2015, 01:08:42 AM

A dull one, sure.

Less dull than staring at the screen though. CK has a bit of this. You manage development of your various holdings. Its very basic and I think not very much thought goes into it, but it does help fill time that is otherwise unfilled. Is it the right approach? No, I think as a player I'd much prefer to be doing meaningful things. Most 4x games are turn based though so there is no need for filler. I haven't read up a lot on Stellaris, but my assumption is that the passing of time will work as it does in all other Paradox games. That means a lot of staring at the map generally.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

I hate this aspect

Hans, I understand the political point you're making, but first and foremost this is supposed to be a game.  It's generally frustrating for players to only have really indirect means of shaping your empire, rather than direct means.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.