News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Randomly generated terrain I can handle but randomly generated factions? Lame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2015, 01:19:58 PM
Randomly generated terrain I can handle but randomly generated factions? Lame.

They likened it to the character system in CK2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

German preview here:

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/stellaris-/artikel/stellaris,52692,3234846.html#top

- 16 "great powers" per game.
- Alien planets can be populated by a pre-spaceflight race, in which case you can decide to observe, to study some abducted specimen, to invade, or to give space flight (or take into your federation)
- some planets can have primitive races that you can turn into subservient clients (think DS9's Jem'Hadar and Vorta, or Brin's Uplift series)
- War score and peace model from EU4 carries over
- no tech tree - when researching you "draw three cards" and get to pick one. But you can influence the probability (e.g. focusing on beam weapons by using researchers specializing in them and having previous knowledge of them); mad (genius?) scientists will give access to special projects
- random events/discoveries/quests while exploring with multiple outcomes
- planets have building slots, with special bonus slots (more research, more production) and synergies if you place similar buildings next to each other (GalCiv3 style); additionally, you need to assign workers to tiles, like in Civilization, which will then modify the production based on the worker race's abilities
- late game will increase the likelihood of a galactic crisis (portal to hostile dimension, rise of the machines, ...depending on what's happening in game) that will threaten all Empires

I really hope they can pull this off.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Is it all going to be written in German, cause that might be a deal breaker for me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

This is going to be terrible.
I will hate it.
It won't be fun.
Lots of bugs.
Terrible map.
No multi-player.
Bugs. Many bugs.
Do not want.
Will not play.
Do not care.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grallon

Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2015, 02:38:35 PM
German preview here:

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/stellaris-/artikel/stellaris,52692,3234846.html#top

- Alien planets can be populated by a pre-spaceflight race, in which case you can decide to observe, to study some abducted specimen, to invade, or to give space flight (or take into your federation)

THIS!  Fuck the Prime Directive!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

dps

Yeah, but as someone said earlier, I'm getting a MoO3 vibe here, which is getting stronger the more I hear about the project.

EDIT:  or maybe it'll be more like CK (lots of feature that are unimplemented/don't work), and we'll have to wait for Stellaris II for a truly acceptable game.

Habbaku

I kinda don't want this to ever be released, if only so it won't disappoint me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2015, 03:08:09 PM
I will hate it.
It won't be fun.
Lots of bugs.
Terrible map.
No multi-player.
Bugs. Many bugs.
Do not want.
Will not play.
Do not care.
:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

But yeah, this could either be absolutely brilliant, or a horrible disjointed mess of random features, or somewhere in between. I like the concept a lot, but I wonder what the finished product will be.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

The AI will probably cheat, and a space-faring muslim doom fleet will probably overrun my systems.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: dps on August 11, 2015, 08:35:01 PM

Yeah, but as someone said earlier, I'm getting a MoO3 vibe here, which is getting stronger the more I hear about the project.

EDIT:  or maybe it'll be more like CK (lots of feature that are unimplemented/don't work), and we'll have to wait for Stellaris II for a truly acceptable game.

I still remember reading the MOO3 dev updates/diaries back in the day... then they switched lead designers and then the game was released. Ouch.  :cry:
With Paradox' experience this might end up being a good game though not a buy-on-release.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2015, 03:08:09 PM
I will hate it.
It won't be fun.
Lots of bugs.
Terrible map.
No multi-player.
Bugs. Many bugs.
Do not want.
Will not play.
Do not care.

You and Siege should have your beatnik poetry face-off. :P

Norgy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 12, 2015, 01:03:14 AM
The AI will probably cheat, and a space-faring muslim doom fleet will probably overrun my systems.

The British Empire will restore order. By shipping one hundred beellion redcoats from India.