News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

The cockroaches should have little orange wigs, childish but fun!

Ed Anger

The cockroaches are Muslims.Derka derka.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

A teaser on Twitter suggests that there is a new "hive mind" ethics/government combination:

crazy canuck

The game doesnt need more options for creating a playable race. It needs more content for what happens after you create your race.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 20, 2017, 11:44:01 PM
The game doesnt need more options for creating a playable race. It needs more content for what happens after you create your race.

Indeed....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2017, 04:18:54 PM
RPS gushing over the Star Trek mod:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/22/stellaris-star-trek-new-horizons-mod/

Downloaded.  Looks cool.  I can't believe that it's integrated right into Steam like that.  I know CBS is fairly lax about fan projects as long as they don't charge money, but still...

I'll play a bit and report back.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Looks pretty cool, though I'm more reminded how I like Stellaris, then how cool the ST mod is.

Like the author of the RPS article though, I played the shit out of ST: BOTF back in the day, and this does appear to be better than that.

Needs more playtime...

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

My main issue with BOTF was that it only had the TNG license instead of allowing for progress through the eras which was a major immersion breaker to me. The Star Trek mods for Distant Worlds did the same (there was a Kirk Era mod, and a Picard Era mod).

So I'm glad to see the mod allow a progression in that regard.

I thnk this also makes the Star Trek universe very suited to a 4X total conversion, because it covers centuries of history, unlike e.g. B5 which is focused on a few years.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I've been holding off on the Horizons ST mod until it was "finished" (as much as these things are ever finished). So it's in a good state to play a full game in it?

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 23, 2017, 08:05:08 AM
I've been holding off on the Horizons ST mod until it was "finished" (as much as these things are ever finished). So it's in a good state to play a full game in it?

I've never played a full game of Stellaris, so I can't say, but as I posted a few pages back, I was having fun tooling around with it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

The ST mod is not finished in that there are details that are clear not done (IE some descriptions of components that are listed as "TBD"). But the breadth and depth of the mod is truly impressive.

COmplete re-work of a lot of core components of the game. I think it is very worth playing, at least as the Humans - I don't know if the other playable races have been as fleshed out...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on February 23, 2017, 08:57:29 AM
COmplete re-work of a lot of core components of the game. I think it is very worth playing, at least as the Humans - I don't know if the other playable races have been as fleshed out...

I believe from the posts throughout there thread that Federation has most content followed by Klingons/Romulans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on February 23, 2017, 08:05:08 AM

It feels "finished".  There is probably some balancing that needs to happen.  Lots of in-game tool tips are "TBD", so you have to guess at what various technologies might do.

However I'm feeling a little frustrated with it (although after sinking 10+ hours into it, which is pretty good for a free game).  It feels a lot like EU2 - history simulated via multiple-choice events.  Which is initially cool, but feels like history in a straight-jacket.  I've also failed the Xindi invasion thread twice.  It's not that it's super -hard, but if you make a mistake the consequences are bad enough you have to start over.