News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STELLARIS: New Paradox Game in SPAAAACE

Started by Syt, July 30, 2015, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I'll get it on release day or briefly thereafter. I like Stellaris and would like to play it again, but I'll wait for the DLC.

Agelastus

I may actually buy this DLC, meaning I'll probably also pick up the previous one that I've delayed buying.

I seem to play Stellaris regularly enough, and the DLC has enough features, to justify it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Anyone using any mods they could recommend?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

2nd week of Stellaris additions looking good.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Thinking about it.  One big fix to the core mechanics could be in better tactics for fleets.
Right now they're limited to getting within half a system of the enemy and charging.
There should be versatility.  Like try to hit and run,  try and keep them at a distance and use big guns,  charge in and bring maximum guns to bear ASAP, etc..
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

The biggest problem with Stellaris right now is that warfare is not much fun. You wipe out the enemy fleet with your deathstack and then it is very tedious and click-intensive sieging of planets which yields you very few results, at most like 3-4 planets per war.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2017, 11:36:06 AM
The biggest problem with Stellaris right now is that warfare is not much fun. You wipe out the enemy fleet with your deathstack and then it is very tedious and click-intensive sieging of planets which yields you very few results, at most like 3-4 planets per war.

True story. The whole armies thing isn't all that fun either - just make sure you bring sufficient forces to take out whatever they may have on the planet.

Berkut

Yeah, the military part of it is kind of blah.

I actually think it could be greatly improved by a bit more randomness. Create fleets, and let fleets fight. But make it so that a given fleet is limited in size, so that a big empire has MORE fleets, not a larger doom stack.

But those fleets themselves can be defeated by even a smaller empires fleets, because the fleets can only be so potent individually.

That would give the combat much more of a tactical/operational feel.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

The 'more guys usually wins' problem is an issue in alot of Paradox games. Quantity has a big quality. I hate that in CK2 where there is not even a big tech difference. The Mongols usually win because they are just a massive doom stack, when historically they tended to be pretty heavily outnumbered and win anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2017, 11:36:06 AM

Yep.
The star trek mod with its bigger systems helps a bit but still, literally your fleet gets in the same half of the system as the enemy and its "Charge!".
There is no game to the war. Just have a bigger fleet=win.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2017, 01:48:53 PM
The 'more guys usually wins' problem is an issue in alot of Paradox games. Quantity has a big quality. I hate that in CK2 where there is not even a big tech difference. The Mongols usually win because they are just a massive doom stack, when historically they tended to be pretty heavily outnumbered and win anyway.

Well CK varies a little bit though. Nomads are pretty tough if you are fighting on open plains even when they are smaller.

Zanza

I had found Sol before either as human space empire or as primitives, but this is the first time I find it as a tomb world. Thanks Trump.  :P

Josquius

Cockroach :lol:

Didn't know tomb worlds could get natives.
██████
██████
██████