Well, fuck it - I like Internet shaming people after all

Started by Martinus, July 28, 2015, 01:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I agree that like all righteous Internet indignations, it crossed the level of appropriate response 10 minutes into it, and is now just an online social event for aimless people to be a part of.

Martinus

I don't understand the point about the lion being killed "by mistake". The act of trophy hunting is abominable, whether the right or a wrong animal is killed. The guy deserves to have his life ruined over this - so perhaps it will make another trophy hunter think twice before engaging in his "hobby".

The Brain

Someone is upset that he's too old to be considered a trophy anymore.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

And then there's people who seem to take the Cecil shitstorm as a challenge if (if!) this Daily Wail article is to be believed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3182671/Now-Idaho-huntress-taunts-world-sickening-Facebook-brags-killing-old-giraffe-warns-haters-s-come.html

QuoteEXCLUSIVE: 'You're gonna have so much more to be p****d about': Idaho huntress taunts the world post-Cecil by boasting about killing 'an old giraffe' and warns 'haters' there's MORE to come

The death of Cecil the lion has shocked the world and led to a backlash against big game trophy hunting - but this Idaho woman knows what side she's on.
Sabrina Corgatelli, a university accountant from McCammon, Idaho, has gleefully posted images of herself on big game hunts comparable to that taken by Walter Palmer onto social media in the midst of the controversy.

In one image she poses over a downed giraffe, accompanied with the caption: 'Day #2 I got a amazing old Giraffe. Such a amazing animal!! I couldn't be any happier!! My emotion after getting him was a feeling I will never forget!!!'

And despite a stream of obscene and disparaging comments accusing her of animal abuse and heartlessness, the huntress has vowed to continue sharing the images regardless of what her 'haters' think.

Corgatelli, who poses in pink hunting gear and hunts with a powerful composite bow and manicured nails, appears to be keeping the world updated on an ongoing trip to the Kruger National Park in South Africa.

The hunting enthusiast, who has a public Facebook page documenting her exploits, has shared images of her quarry standing over quarry, seemingly plucked from the extensive game reserves in the east of the country. She has even posed over the corpse of a lion, apparently slain by her boyfriend.

Outside of hunting, she is a senior accountant for Idaho State University, where she deals with grants and contracts. She has worked there for eight months according to her LinkedIn page.

Her prey includes a huge giraffe, a kudu, an impala, a wildebeest and a warthog - with seemingly more to come.

Hundreds of people have protested her actions on the page - calling her 'deranged' and 'a disgrace to humanity', as well as vitriol too obscene to reproduce.

But Corgatelli, who faced objections even before Cecil's death caused international outcry, is unmoved by their complaints.

Posting early Friday morning, she said: All you haters, This is for you!! Have a great day, cuz I know I will!!'

It was accompanied by an image of a smiling Leonardo DiCaprio in his role as the Great Gatsby, captioned: 'To all the haters - stay tuned, you're gonna have so much more to be p***ed about.'

According to her periodic updates, Corgatelli's hunt began on July 24, when she boasted of killing a kudu, an type of African antelope.

She wrote: 'Yesterday was day 1 an amazing day!!! Got my beautiful beautiful Kudu!! It was my #1 want on my list and I got him on the first day!!! Loving it there!!'

Less than 24 hours later she posted her most dramatic image - showing her standing over a fallen giraffe, its neck wrapped around her body.

She said: 'Day #2 I got a amazing old Giraffe. Such a amazing animal!! I couldn't be any happier!! My emotion after getting him was a feeling I will never forget!!!'

Later updates showed her with a warthog, which she said was 'fun' to hunt, followed by the 'beautiful' wildebeest and then the impala, another sort of antelope.

Of the warthog hunt, she said: '13 inch wart hog!! What a fun hunt!!! Loving it here!!

'The guys at old days safari in South Africa have got me on another amazing animal.'

Corgatelli has even turned to the Bible to justify her actions - most recently she posted verses from the book of Genesis.

They feature Isaac, Abraham's son, tells his offspring: 'take your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me'.

In the updates she name-checked Old Days Safari, a local hunting company which offers game tours of the area.

A package for most of the animals she is shown hunting costs $5,400, while the giraffe carries a 'trophy fee' of $2,600 by itself.

Hunting giraffe is legal in South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe, where fees of up to $15,000 per kill have been recorded.

In these countries, populations have been increasing in recent years, though global giraffe numbers are plummeting.

In Zimbabwe, hunting lions, leopards and elephants has been suspended in the wake of Cecil's death, but giraffe are still considered fair game.

GAZILLIONS of pictures in the article for those interested.

Also, apparently we now live in a "post-Cecil world" according to Daily Mail.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Grey Fox

The religious freaks on my facebook are trying to turn the Cecil outrage into Abortion outrage.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 03, 2015, 09:21:36 AM
The religious freaks on my facebook are trying to turn the Cecil outrage into Abortion outrage.

Let's put a foetus and a lion into a cage and see who wins.  :rolleyes:

celedhring

Wasn't aware that bow and arrows were a thing in modern day big game hunting.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on August 03, 2015, 09:24:55 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 03, 2015, 09:21:36 AM

Let's put a foetus and a lion into a cage and see who wins.  :rolleyes:

They are more going with the 10k foetii and a lion in a cage angle. Smother the Lion to death with baby corpses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 03, 2015, 09:30:18 AM
Wasn't aware that bow and arrows were a thing in modern day big game hunting.

Must be a hipster thing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

If I ever get into hunting, it will be with a bow. I shoot for target practice, and believe me, I know it would be a bit too easy with a rifle. Plus you have to track the animal after you shoot it with a bow, adding to the dificulty and skills needed.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 03, 2015, 11:50:02 AM
If I ever get into hunting, it will be with a bow. I shoot for target practice, and believe me, I know it would be a bit too easy with a rifle. Plus you have to track the animal after you shoot it with a bow, adding to the dificulty and skills needed.
It's more challenging for the animal as well.  :)

grumbler

This is the best hysterical Marti thread in ages.  The Onion couldn't do a better job of showing how achingly funny aging hipsters are than Marti is doing.

Let's keep this going. College football is still a month away.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Have been doing some soul searching on this and while I would definitely not engage in trophy hunting (or any hunting for that matter), I can't decide if trophy hunting is objectively evil or my opposition to it is essentially telling other people how to live their lives.  :hmm:

I suppose you have to balance the needs and "rights". A lion has a "right" to live - this "right" is trumped by a human's right to survive/defend himself/herself, to get food and fur (where no alternative can conceivably be obtained) but not by a "right" to get entertained, I reckon. But what if someone has a nature where they get a (healthy) sense of accomplishment from stalking and hunting an animal that they cannot fulfil by other (less drastic) means - can this need trump the lion's "right" to live? Would this assessment vary when talking about hunting an animal who is a natural prey (such as deer) as opposed to a natural predator (such as lion) - as in the former case the man's actions would be more in line with the natural outcome of things?