News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Has NASA finally found an Alien Earth?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 23, 2015, 12:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm :w00t: ing harder than I ever have before! :w00t:

http://www.hngn.com/articles/111924/20150723/another-earth-nasa-hints-about-possible-new-planet-discovery-with-kepler-telescope.htm

QuoteNASA Found Alien Earth? Space Agency Hints About Possible New Planet Discovery With Kepler Telescope

Has NASA found Earth's twin?

By Rachel Cruz | Jul 23, 2015 12:17 AM EDT

U.S. space agency NASA announced that it will provide details of its latest discovery with the Kepler Space Telescope in a press conference scheduled for 9:00 a.m. PDT on July 23.

The Kepler Space Telescope, which was launched back in 2009, is supposed to find other "habitable zones" in space. Specifically, the mission involves searching for planets that also support water, a vital ingredient for sustaining life. The mission has focused on six regions in space, looking into a star's brightness to indicate that it could be a planet.

For the last six years, the Kepler Space Telescope has made thousands of planetary discoveries and there have been 3,000 candidates for planets with a habitable zone, according to CTV.

"Exoplanets, especially small Earth-size worlds, belonged within the realm of science fiction just 21 years ago," NASA said in the press release.

"Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years - another Earth," the agency further hinted.

"We're now closer than we've ever been for finding a twin for Earth," said Fergal Mullally from the Kepler Science Office back in January, when NASA announced that the telescope was able to find a planet that has Earth's size, according to Wired.

Doing a press conference, rather than just releasing a research paper or statement, suggests that NASA may finally confirm if one of these candidates is closest and most similar to Earth.

They may have finally found Earth's twin.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

Time to start construction of the space fence against illegal aliens.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on July 23, 2015, 12:43:06 AM
How far away is it?

So far away, that if you were to travel as fast as physically possible, it would still take over half a millennia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

I expect lots of presumptions, educated guesses, and no real direct, solid evidence.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 23, 2015, 04:55:26 AM
I expect lots of presumptions, educated guesses, and no real direct, solid evidence.
Kepler is solid as hell.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2015, 01:14:51 AM
How far away is it?

So far away, that if you were to travel as fast as physically possible, it would still take over half a millennia.

Well we should get going then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Have you seen Buenos Aires? I vote for WAR!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

How far away is it?
Thats a point that always gets me about these announcements. They're always around 10,000 light year away stars called L5025156.
Not good sci-fi fodder at all :(
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Yeah if we do find something that would only take 500 years to get to I would consider that a win.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk