Oldest(?) Quran fragments found in Birmingham.

Started by Syt, July 22, 2015, 05:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2015, 10:51:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2015, 11:41:44 PM
I don't think you get to have it both ways.  We only know about Jesus because of Greek writings from that area. \

No the Greek writings come later, and after the Jesus movement shifts from being a tiny Jewish messianic cult to an organization focused on proselytizing gentiles in the Greek-speaking world.  Paul spoke Greek but he was from Tarsus - a commercial city on the Med where Greek would be widely spoken - and not the Galilee.  The Gospels were not actually written by the evangelists they are ascribed to; thus, e.g., it is extremely unlikely Matthew or any apostle spoke Greek, much less were able to write it.

Josephus, who was active about a generation after Jesus, could speak and write Greek, but he was unusually well educated and points out in his writings that his knowledge of Greek was rare among his people.

Yeah, that is my point.  The Gospels, written in Greek, came much later.  But there were Greek speakers and writers alive and well in the area at the time of Jesus.  Why no mention of this person who did such momentous things in any earlier Greek, Latin or other text?  The answer is as you state.  The Gospels are a creation of a later period and reflect a different view then what would have been proposed by a Jewish holy man named Jesus.   I think we actually agree with one another.  There may well have been a person named Jesus who preached at the beginning of the Common Era.  But that man has very little to do with the Jesus of the New Testament writings which were compiled and edited into what we now know as the Bible.

For Raz and Viper.  It is very unlikely that a Rabbi Jesus would have proclaimed himself to be God.  He may have proclaimed himself to be the Messiah, but that word had a very different meaning in the pre-Christian era. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2015, 11:55:31 AM
But there were Greek speakers and writers alive and well in the area at the time of Jesus.  Why no mention of this person who did such momentous things in any earlier Greek, Latin or other text?  The answer is as you state. 

Two reasons:
1. As per above, there were few Greek speakers and very few Greeks writers in the area at the time of Jesus. 
2.  He would not have been perceived to have done momentous things.  Messianic claims or speculations were not that unusual.  Getting crucified as a criminal was nothing to write home about either.

QuoteThere may well have been a person named Jesus who preached at the beginning of the Common Era.  But that man has very little to do with the Jesus of the New Testament writings which were compiled and edited into what we now know as the Bible.

For Raz and Viper.  It is very unlikely that a Rabbi Jesus would have proclaimed himself to be God.  He may have proclaimed himself to be the Messiah, but that word had a very different meaning in the pre-Christian era.

I mostly agree with that.  IMO there is probably a decent amount of stuff in the synoptic gospels that could reflect authentic traditions but the "spin" in the gospels themselves and the subsequent interpretation is distortive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on July 28, 2015, 01:01:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2015, 12:48:58 AM
he did mistake a novel for a work of non-fiction once. 
what was the novel?

Some book on Operation Compass.  Despite the fact the book was labeled fiction and put in the fiction category by online sellers CC kept defending it.  A man's pride can be blinding.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I don't remember the specifics but that was an amazing thread. One of the top 10 threads about Operation Compass in internet history.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2015, 10:51:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2015, 11:41:44 PM
I don't think you get to have it both ways.  We only know about Jesus because of Greek writings from that area. \

No the Greek writings come later, and after the Jesus movement shifts from being a tiny Jewish messianic cult to an organization focused on proselytizing gentiles in the Greek-speaking world.  Paul spoke Greek but he was from Tarsus - a commercial city on the Med where Greek would be widely spoken - and not the Galilee.  The Gospels were not actually written by the evangelists they are ascribed to; thus, e.g., it is extremely unlikely Matthew or any apostle spoke Greek, much less were able to write it.

Josephus, who was active about a generation after Jesus, could speak and write Greek, but he was unusually well educated and points out in his writings that his knowledge of Greek was rare among his people.
Wasn't The Galilee itself poor but quite mixed? I listened to an iTunes U Stanford course on the historical Jesus and they talked quite a bit about how odd Galilee was compared to the rest of Israel. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

I might have listened to that one as well. It is amazing what they can determine from limited evidence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2015, 12:52:27 PM
what was the novel?

Some book on Operation Compass.  Despite the fact the book was labeled fiction and put in the fiction category by online sellers CC kept defending it.  A man's pride can be blinding.

I don't think it was the Compass thread - I thought he'd considered this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gates-Fire-Novel-Battle-Thermopylae/dp/0553812165/ref=la_B000AQ8R8Q_1_2_bnp_2_pap?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438111700&sr=1-2 a valid source in another thread.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

I think the Compass thread predates 2009 so it's no longer on record, but I did remind him of it in 2010, cause I'm an asshole.  Don't know about the Thermopylae book.  Might have missed.  There was another one where he insisted that Gibbon's Decline and Fall is still used by researchers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on July 28, 2015, 02:16:16 PM
Wasn't The Galilee itself poor but quite mixed? I listened to an iTunes U Stanford course on the historical Jesus and they talked quite a bit about how odd Galilee was compared to the rest of Israel.

It was odd - it wasn't a traditional Israelite area.  It was conquered by one the Hasmoneans and converted.  That was about 150 years earlier but still significant.  There was a big city - Tiberias.  There was another lesser city not far from Nazareth.  Nazareth itself though was a dinky village.  Jesus was a laborer.  His followers were simple people.  He seems to have focused on simple people.  Capernaum is the most significant settlement that he seems to have been active in.  It was basically a fishing village.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Agelastus on July 28, 2015, 02:26:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2015, 12:52:27 PM
what was the novel?

I don't think it was the Compass thread - I thought he'd considered this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gates-Fire-Novel-Battle-Thermopylae/dp/0553812165/ref=la_B000AQ8R8Q_1_2_bnp_2_pap?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438111700&sr=1-2 a valid source in another thread.

I can stand being attacked by Raz but really?

grumbler

CC claimed that a book supported his contention (which I contested) that the British were preparing to evacuate Cairo when the Italians invaded in 1940.  Turns out the book he was referencing was a novel "based on real events."  It wasn't a biggie, and AIR he conceded the point at that juncture.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 28, 2015, 04:12:15 PM
CC claimed that a book supported his contention (which I contested) that the British were preparing to evacuate Cairo when the Italians invaded in 1940.  Turns out the book he was referencing was a novel "based on real events."  It wasn't a biggie, and AIR he conceded the point at that juncture.

:yes:

Barrister

grumbler coming to CC's defence?

Well now I have seen everything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2015, 04:29:21 PM

I am not attacking anyone or defending anyone.  Just stating the facts as I remember them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 28, 2015, 04:29:21 PM

Grumbler balances his grudges.  A chance to let CC off the hook and make me look bad is one he can't pass up.