News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

100 Greatest American Films

Started by Syt, July 21, 2015, 04:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Btw I've seen 62, altho I'm counting Nashville, which I quit an hour in because it's unbearably dull and Grey Gardens, which I sort of three-quarters watched with my girlfriend.  Crazy broads were feeding a raccoon.  Not remotely great cinema.

Other notes: Marnie? I like that movie, but that's retarded; also not that sanguine about Notorious, which I even kinda love.  Blow Out is way better than The Conversation.  I'm happy to see Eyes Wide Shut get some love.  12 Years a Slave gets beaten by GWTW, lame.  And no Gravity breaks my heart.  And Lion King but no Clements and Musker is a fucking joke.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 23, 2015, 11:07:49 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2015, 11:04:38 AM
Any list without The General is nonsense. 

And yet it does have Sherlock Jr.  :huh:

Nobody drives a train off a bridge in that movie.  I'd also like to have seen Terminator 2.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Maximus

MadImmortalMan

It's nice to see In A Lonely Place on the list. Gloria is adorable even with that quasi-speech impediment she had.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

46, 47 if I count Citizen Kane which I gave up on.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Citizen Kane is not a movie, it's a treatise on camera angles and lighting.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2015, 05:23:12 PM
:mad: :glare:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2015, 05:23:12 PM

:ultra:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Eddie Teach

Cel won. Watching the movies on this list beats watching cartoons about magic girls and churning butter or however Max spent his youth.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

I stopped at Heaven's Gate. Right there I knew this list was going to suck.

dps

I've seen 33 of 'em.  But to get to 33, I have to count some that I half-watched on TV while doing something else, and 1 (McCabe and Mrs. Miller) that I know I saw but don't remember a dang thing about.  OTOH, it's possible that there are some others that I saw a long, long time ago and don't even remember seeing.

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2015, 11:04:38 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 22, 2015, 01:54:28 AM
I have watched 89 films from that list  :nerd:

Eternal Sunshine is amazing. Great use of scifi and surrealism to tell an emotional story in an unconventional way.

I haven't seen it in a while, But I remember being extremely put off by the lack of imagination regarding the world in which fast, cheap, and reliable memory surgery exists.  It's like the production design opposite of Gattaca, which posited a future world on the cheap but still felt real.  I do like it, need to rewatch to see if its cult has a point.

Any list without The General is nonsense.  Pretty sure I didn't see Phantom of the Opera either.

That's because Gattaca is a story about that world, and the characters imprisoned by its rules. Eternal Sunshine is a story about the two lovers and the machine is just a plot device to enable it. Trying to set up the world - and then not use it - would be a waste.