News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

100 Greatest American Films

Started by Syt, July 21, 2015, 04:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I'm at 41. Glad to see Rio Bravo on the list. I love that movie. :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

64. I missed some of the most recent ones.

celedhring

Quote from: katmai on July 22, 2015, 02:03:04 AM
Not shabby, my count is only 63.

Probably half of them were in the mandatory watching list we had at film school, so there's that.

Admittedly I used to watch some of the silent films in fast forward and stopping to read the captions. I have watched them properly since!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I've never seen citizen Kane. Strikes me as one of those where if I did watch it it would now seem cliche and lame.

The list includes back to the future and Groundhog Day thus has some validity
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on July 22, 2015, 03:11:53 AM
I've never seen citizen Kane. Strikes me as one of those where if I did watch it it would now seem cliche and lame.

Even if the puzzle structure and the "rise and fall of a great man" theme have been reused a lot, the camerawork is still stunning in this day and age.

Monoriu

Duque de Bragança

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2015, 06:38:21 PMAlso, five Billy Wilder films?

Still not enough. No "One, Two, Three!".  :glare:

Grey Fox

I saw 29 movies on the list

but this is a Bullshit list since Shawshank Redemption is not #3.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

I spent way too long fascinated with the GIF in the OP. :blush:
Experience bij!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I have seen 23, and that number would be larger if I would actually watch the 20 or so on my to-do list. :P

I concur that the list is really odd, though.  The strangest thing is that it doesn't seem very cohesive.  I can't think of a single interpretation of "best" that would cover all these as a group.

Syt

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 23, 2015, 10:15:06 AM
I have seen 23, and that number would be larger if I would actually watch the 20 or so on my to-do list. :P

I concur that the list is really odd, though.  The strangest thing is that it doesn't seem very cohesive.  I can't think of a single interpretation of "best" that would cover all these as a group.

That's what you get when you ask 62 people across the world for their "10 best American movies" :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on July 22, 2015, 01:54:28 AM
I have watched 89 films from that list  :nerd:

Eternal Sunshine is amazing. Great use of scifi and surrealism to tell an emotional story in an unconventional way.

I haven't seen it in a while, But I remember being extremely put off by the lack of imagination regarding the world in which fast, cheap, and reliable memory surgery exists.  It's like the production design opposite of Gattaca, which posited a future world on the cheap but still felt real.  I do like it, need to rewatch to see if its cult has a point.

Any list without The General is nonsense.  Pretty sure I didn't see Phantom of the Opera either.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2015, 11:04:38 AM
Any list without The General is nonsense. 

And yet it does have Sherlock Jr.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?