And we're back!

Main Menu

100 Greatest American Films

Started by Syt, July 21, 2015, 04:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on July 21, 2015, 08:01:53 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 21, 2015, 06:10:45 AM
I always wonder if people actually watch all those movies from the 1920s or whatever.

:unsure:

Talkies really ruined pictures.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2015, 08:16:20 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 21, 2015, 08:01:53 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 21, 2015, 06:10:45 AM
I always wonder if people actually watch all those movies from the 1920s or whatever.

:unsure:

Talkies really ruined pictures.

Used to be silent versions of talkies as well for a while. Speaking of which, they forgot All Quiet on the Western Front! Absolutely appalling. :mad:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on July 21, 2015, 09:51:38 AM
The list is insane.

Indeed.  Not a single Coen Brothers movie, but the incredibly pretentious Koyaanisqatsi and the downright boring Close Encounters.. make it?  I mean, lots of choices are rightly debatable in terms of their order in the list, but some of the choices are inexplicable.

Of course, this is the BBC, so who knows what objectives they had when creating the list.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I didn't know there were two Steve McQueens.  Also, five Billy Wilder films?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I've seen 29 out of those.  Eternal Sunshine... that was a boring and stupid movie, über predictable beyond belief.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on July 21, 2015, 07:21:39 PM
I've seen 29 out of those.  Eternal Sunshine... that was a boring and stupid movie, über predictable beyond belief.

Boring and stupid are subjective so I'll let them slide, but predictable? That movie had surprises at every turn. Just having the hero end up with the girl at the end doesn't make a movie predictable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 21, 2015, 07:28:04 PM

Boring and stupid are subjective so I'll let them slide, but predictable? That movie had surprises at every turn. Just having the hero end up with the girl at the end doesn't make a movie predictable.

I think I saw the movie you saw.  It was very surreal at times and certainly not predictable.  The one viper saw may have been some Canadian version recut to a ten-minute loop and then replayed nine times.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

The list is insane.

These lists almost always suck and generate arguments. 

I think that is their real purpose anyway.

Admiral Yi

Syt posted a site that had "One Hundred Films You Have to Watch Before You Die" that I thought was pretty good.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 21, 2015, 08:37:11 PM
The list is insane.

These lists almost always suck and generate arguments. 

I think that is their real purpose anyway.

It's better then a lot of lists, but Yi is right, it is pretentious.  I guess it since it's BBC it favors British sensibilities so there is a lot of Hitchcock and Kubrik, but no John Huston films (well Chinatown but he doesn't direct that one).  I'm guessing that because it's Americans films Lawrence of Arabia is cut out.  I honestly thought there was some American involvement.  That one with the funny Indian name, I have no idea why anyone consider it great anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 21, 2015, 07:28:04 PM

it's been done 100s of times in sci-fi already.  there's no real surprise there.  There's a lot of emotive manipulation, and I can see why it's entertaining to some people.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I have watched 89 films from that list  :nerd:

Eternal Sunshine is amazing. Great use of scifi and surrealism to tell an emotional story in an unconventional way.

katmai

Not shabby, my count is only 63.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son