[board] Blackbeard - A Gypsy, Mexican, and Dixiecrat go to sea

Started by Jaron, June 23, 2009, 05:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

I present to you all the AAR for the "Blackbeard" game between Tamas, ulmont and I.

Tamas is up first, and I hand the torch over to he.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

:D

So, the setting is the golden age of piracy. Captain Henry Avery, the soon-to-be-famous pirate started his career in the West Caribean. Commanding his schooner, he set sail for the waters of Port Royal where he was looking for merchant ships. But staying unlucky, he gave up after a turn, and instead set sail for the coast of South America, suspecting merchants there as well.

And so it was! Not far from Cartagena, he intercepted.... a sloop. Beside the reasonable loot, his men took a local from Cartagena hostage. The chance to get valuable informations about the town's defenses thus presented itself, so Captain Avery and his men were eager to torture the poor soul. They got carried away a bit because the fellow died before he told anything useful. But still, it was some good old fun, so the crew morale grew, so did the notoriety of Avery.

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on June 23, 2009, 05:19:07 PM
I present to you all the AAR for the "Blackbeard" game between Tamas, ulmont and I.

Tamas is up first, and I hand the torch over to he.
So if you are the Gypsy, who is the Mexican? :unsure:

Or is it "a Gypsy Mexican and Dixiecrat goes to sea?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts began his happy hunting in the Central Atlantic, where rumors of fat merchants abounded.

The rumors proved true; Black Bart quickly overtook a merchant schooner and began looting.  Unfortunately for Bart and his crew, the merchant had been having a bad season, and the booty was relatively sparse.

Undeterred, and more than a little pissed, Black Bart and company tortured the merchant captain until the captain divulged key information* about the port of Virginia.

Armed with the new information, Bart and company sailed into action to attack the port...but were immediately driven off by a warship that appeared over the horizon as if by magic**!

And a mighty warship it was, too; Bart and crew barely escaped, and had to give up all thoughts of a port strike***.

*Some people say the merchant captain didn't really know anything, and made up the information to stop the torture, but the pirates don't care either way.

**Or one of Tamas's goddamn interventions.

***I would have won the combat, too, but no, we had to use the optional +2 for warship rule...

Tamas

Since Captain Avery was cruising the South American coast, he could not know that there had been new governors appointed to St. Augustine and Bombay, both being strong with anti-pirate measures in their towns.

He could also not hear about the natural disaster completely destroying the town of Campeche. All he noticed that the supposedly busy merchant shipping was nowhere to be seen.

So he took out the map of the Caribbean, and looked for a suitable port to attack. There was an abundance of Spanish ports, but alienating the all those ports by attacking one of them seemed a premature step to take. So he instead set sail toward Guadeloupe, a French port.

The French might did not have a major presence in the Spanish Main, but they sure bothered to send out warship patrols. Captain Avery ran into one of them (thx ulmont!), but decided that his schooner should be a match for the frog-eaters. His bravery and ambition, however, was let down by his incompetent crew: grossly outmatched by the french navy, Avery had to flee with a severyl damaged ship. Urgent refits were in order.