News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ipod touch

Started by Weatherman, March 16, 2009, 01:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

Anyone here have one of these? The mini I bought in 2005 is finally dying.

Barrister

I want one. :wub:

They seem awfully nifty, but it depends what you want it for.  If it's just listening to music you're better off with a nano.  If you want to carry a LOT of songs get a classic.

But if you figure yourself playing a fair number of games, watching video, or even connecting to the net via WiFi the Touch is the way to go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

I had one for a while & then sold it.  It's a great device, but just didn't fit my particular needs.

Anything specific you want to know about it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Weatherman

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2009, 01:14:01 PM
I had one for a while & then sold it.  It's a great device, but just didn't fit my particular needs.

General info I guess. What GB was yours?

derspiess

Quote from: Weatherman on March 16, 2009, 01:15:26 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2009, 01:14:01 PM

General info I guess. What GB was yours?

8GB, which was enough to hold a little music and a tiny bit of video, plus a few podcasts.  It's a good music player, and a pretty good video player as well (though its range of supported codecs is limited).  What puts it above others is its email/web browsing capability-- as long as you're okay with the on-screen keyboard (which didn't work too well for me). 

Performance on mine was good.  I loaded it up with several free apps from the app store & it generally ran like a charm.

Bottom line, if you plan to use it for email & web browsing and have tried out the on-screen keyboard satisfactorily, go for it.  But if you just want a good music player, there are several other options, both Apple-branded and non-.  Just don't buy that piece of crap Shuffle that Apple just released.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Weatherman

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2009, 01:13:55 PM
I want one. :wub:

I'm surprised you don't already have one, what with you being the Apple cheerleader.  :P

Thanks derspiess.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2009, 01:27:41 PM
Just don't buy that piece of crap Shuffle that Apple just released.

Why the hell not?  It seems very nice for what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer my previous gen nano - but I recognize it costs a lot more than a shuffle.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2009, 01:33:14 PM
Why the hell not?  It seems very nice for what it is.

Dude, save some kool-aid for the others.  $80 for a 4gb player that not only lacks any type of display, but also lacks buttons or controls of any sort (they are on the earbuds now, and said earbuds are of the crappy Apple variety & not made by any 3rd party).  Lose your Apple earbuds?  You're screwed.  Want to upgrade to a nicer set of earphones?  Can't do it.

Ed Anger

It is nice, but it isn't the second coming of Christ like apple homos would like you to believe.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

I got a 16 GB one as a present a while ago.  I've quite enjoyed it, but in large parts because Vancouver is rife with free WiFi spots and because I have a wireless network at home.

derspiess

More about those iPod Shuffle earphones:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/16/apple-confirms-presence-of-proprietary-chip-in-shuffle-headphone/

Quoteboth Macworld and Boing Boing Gadgets have confirmed with Apple and various third-party vendors that the new shuffle headphones do in fact contain a proprietary control chip, and that would-be headphone makers have to pay to license it from Apple as part of the Made for iPod program.

So the only ways to get the player to work are by using Apple's crappy earphones or pay an Apple Tax to use 3rd party earphones.

Gotta love the Apple philosophy.  But I guess if people keep buying their stuff, why change  ::)

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2009, 01:41:36 PM
Dude, save some kool-aid for the others.  $80 for a 4gb player that not only lacks any type of display, but also lacks buttons or controls of any sort (they are on the earbuds now, and said earbuds are of the crappy Apple variety & not made by any 3rd party).  Lose your Apple earbuds?  You're screwed.  Want to upgrade to a nicer set of earphones?  Can't do it.

I thought I was reading something out of the Onion when I first read about the new one.