Boeing's New Laser Cannon Could Be a Game-Changer for U.S. Soldiers

Started by jimmy olsen, July 14, 2015, 12:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Fuck Yeah! :punk:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/07/05/boeings-new-laser-gun-could-be-a-game-changer-for.aspx
Boeing's New Laser Gun Could Be a Game-Changer for U.S. Soldiers

Could this be the invention that helps to revive Boeing's defense business?

Rich Smith

Boeing (NYSE:BA) is building a laser gun for the U.S. Marine Corps.

No, not that ray gun you see above -- that was the U.S. Air Force Airborne Laser. And no, we're not talking about Boeing's Advanced Tactical Laser or its Laser Avenger projects, either. Respectively, those weapons systems require anything from the size of a Boeing 747 to a small tank to lug them around.

Boeing's newest laser weapon system, in contrast, is small enough to be transported by hand.

Well, by a few hands at least. According to a Boeing representative, the company's new Compact Laser Weapon System (LWS) breaks down into four parts, each transportable by one or two Marines. Boeing says these components include:

a battery
a water-cooled chiller
a commercially available fiber laser
an upgraded beam director, weighing 40% less than a previous model.

In total, the system weighs about 650 pounds and would probably be operated by a squad of eight to 12 soldiers or Marines.

Able to be assembled in just 15 minutes, LWS is capable of generating an energy beam of up to 10 kilowatts that can, depending on the power level, be used to acquire, track, and identify a target -- or even destroy it -- at ranges of at least 22 miles. The weapon is designed specifically to track and attack moving aerial targets such as incoming artillery rounds, and low-flying aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles.

U.S. Special Operations forces are currently testing LWS, with "multiple" branches of the U.S. military expressing interest -- and no wonder.

According to Boeing, a laser gun such as LWS offers the military a "low cost per shot and an infinite magazine" -- both very attractive attributes. Indeed, in a press release, Boeing observed that "with a steady power supply, the Compact LWS can fire continuously." Such a weapon, once operational, might be used to sweep a battlefield, destroying everything it contacts, making it a significant force multiplier for dismounted infantry units.

What Boeing's new laser gun means to investors
As one of the smallest laser weapons currently in development, LWS could turn into a pretty big force multiplier for Boeing's profits, too. According to a recent study by MicroMarket Monitor, the market for directed energy weapons in the U.S., including research and development funding, hit $3.1 billion in 2013. That number is expected to more than double (to $8.1 billion) by 2018, implying a long-term annual growth rate of 21.5% -- nearly twice the 12% profits growth rate that analysts project for Boeing.

Perhaps more important, Pentagon spending on laser weapons research, development, and -- eventually -- purchases -- holds the potential to reverse declines in revenue at Boeing's defense businesses. According to S&P Capital IQ, sales at Boeing's Network and Space Systems division (which includes lasers research) dropped 6% last year from 2013 levels. Military Aircraft, Boeing's most obviously bellicose division, saw revenues slump 12% in the same period.

Should Boeing capture even just a 25% share of Pentagon-directed energy spending, however (a not unreasonable goal, given how few major defense contractors we have left), these revenues could replace essentially all revenue declines Boeing Defense has suffered over the past year. Assuming steady 9.3% profit margins, a 25% share of the $8.1 billion laser weapons market in 2018 could potentially produce as much as $750 million in operating profit for Boeing -- amounting to 10% of the company's current operating profitability.

In short, Boeing's new Compact Laser Weapon System may be designed for easy portability and small size. The profits, however, could turn out to be very big indeed.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Notice there is no indication whether it actually works.
Other than as an expensive and elaborate weight training exercise for some Marines.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

QuoteAccording to Boeing, a laser gun such as LWS offers the military a "low cost per shot and an infinite magazine" -- both very attractive attributes. Indeed, in a press release, Boeing observed that "with a steady power supply, the Compact LWS can fire continuously." Such a weapon, once operational, might be used to sweep a battlefield, destroying everything it contacts, making it a significant force multiplier for dismounted infantry units.

The US Army's inability to win wars is clearly based on its lack of firepower and marginal capacity to destroy everything on the battlefield.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

8-12 Marines for one 600-pound laser?

So why aren't we talking about laser-tanks here instead?

Heck, laser-copters, or mounting the thing on an AC-130 sounds far more practical than infantry grunts dedicated to hauling all that crap around.

Razgovory

Somebody came in and said that the weapon had an "infinite magazine", and weren't immediately shown the door?  Does Siegebreaker do the procurement for the Marines now?  I can just see the warning on the machine "Warning!  Air temperature with in 200 meters of the device may increase by 900 degrees when weapon is active.  Wear eye protection".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

This is probably a game-changer for Boeing's fortunes, but certainly not one for US soldiers.  I thought it would be a laser rifle, not a 650 pound monster that needs to be moved by hand.  If it is that heavy, it should be put on a car, tank, or plane. 

katmai

Is it gonna get me fricken lasers attached to a sharks head, otherwise meh.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on July 14, 2015, 01:40:33 AM
This is probably a game-changer for Boeing's fortunes, but certainly not one for US soldiers.  I thought it would be a laser rifle, not a 650 pound monster that needs to be moved by hand.  If it is that heavy, it should be put on a car, tank, or plane.
I did specify it was a cannon in the title.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ideologue on July 14, 2015, 12:24:40 AM
QuoteAccording to Boeing, a laser gun such as LWS offers the military a "low cost per shot and an infinite magazine" -- both very attractive attributes. Indeed, in a press release, Boeing observed that "with a steady power supply, the Compact LWS can fire continuously." Such a weapon, once operational, might be used to sweep a battlefield, destroying everything it contacts, making it a significant force multiplier for dismounted infantry units.

The US Army's inability to win wars is clearly based on its lack of firepower and marginal capacity to destroy everything on the battlefield.

:lol:

Just so, if only your bombs were just a little bit bigger then all those wars would have gone so much better  :P

Brazen

It's not what you'd call convenient or powerful. All that weight and power to defeat... sensors. :hmm:

Slide three here:
http://www.boeing.com/defense/missile-defense/directed-energy/#/milestones

QuoteCOMPACT LASER WEAPON SYSTEM
Packing a fiber laser with acquisition, tracking, and pointing systems creates a weapon system that is ideal for tactical missions. The system can be transported or mounted to deny intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors or defeat UAVs.

Oh and Tonitrus, the laser tank (or armoured vehicle) is slide 1.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on July 14, 2015, 01:17:23 PM
:hmm:

That's exactly what I thought of when I read about it being semiportable. :D

I for one welcome the transition from SAW gunners to E-WEB gunners. ;)
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2015, 04:13:18 AM
I wish they would revive the Chrysler TV-8 nuclear amphibious tank instead. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_TV-8

That turret was so heavy it couldn't rotate; instead, the turret motor rotated the earth.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!