Parents Forced Daughter to Live in Woods After Eating Pop-Tart

Started by Syt, July 07, 2015, 11:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/parents-force-daughter-live-woods-after-eating-pop-tart-n387591

QuoteParents Forced Daughter to Live in Woods After Eating Pop-Tart: Police

Two South Carolina parents were arrested this week after forcing their 14-year-old daughter to live in a tent in the woods because she ate a Pop-Tart without permission, authorities said.

The Sumter County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday James Driggers, 33, and his wife Crystal Driggers, 36, had been denying their child entrance to their home for two days — and she was expected to remain away from the home for a week.

The child was ordered by her parents to set up a tent — in a wooded area known to have wild hogs — and was provided with only a roll of toilet paper, a flashlight, a whistle, and a watch, police said.

The teen girl was allegedly told by her parents to meet "someone" at a fence on the family's property at specific times during the day if she wanted to receive any food: Her brother delivered her an open can of Spaghetti-Os with a plastic spoon one afternoon, authorities said.

The child was also left to fend for herself during severe thunderstorms that hit the town Thursday night, police said.

The girl's grandmother called police after hearing she was outside Thursday. The grandmother went in the rain to take the child to her own home right around the corner, authorities said.

After the child was returned home later Thursday night and police talked with the parents, the child was sent back outside.

In a follow-up Friday afternoon, police discovered the girl had been sent back to the tent, more than a quarter-mile from the home.

Investigators also learned that during the previous month, the child had been sent from the home every day at 8 a.m. and prohibited to return until 6 p.m.

"She couldn't return for any reason," Police spokesman Braden Bunch said. "Not to get a drink, not to use the bathroom, nothing."

Bunch also said Sumter County had been experiencing heat issues during the month with temperatures regularly surpassing 100 degrees.

The Driggers have five other children, four of which were in the home at the time. Those siblings have been placed in the custody of their grandparents while the 14-year-old girl is with the South Carolina Department of Social Services.

"We feel very confident that the parents were overstepping their bounds," Bunch said. "From trying to correct a child's behavior to true criminal punishment."

Both parents have been charged with a single count of unlawful neglect of a child and more charges are possible as the investigation continues, police said.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Ed Anger's mortal enemy!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2015, 11:32:55 PM

The girl's grandmother called police after hearing she was outside Thursday. The grandmother went in the rain to take the child to her own home right around the corner, authorities said.

After the child was returned home later Thursday night and police talked with the parents, the child was sent back outside.

In a follow-up Friday afternoon, police discovered the girl had been sent back to the tent, more than a quarter-mile from the home.

Well, there's some top-notch police work.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: dps on July 07, 2015, 11:56:25 PM

Are you being sarcastic dude? Because I think that was a pretty fair way of handling the situation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Was there a confederate flag involved?  If not, this is not newsworthy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

A fitting punishment.

Some parents are so very weird with food. What do you think will happen the moment they are old enough? It's a sex & cheetos binge.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2015, 08:18:53 AM
Quote from: dps on July 07, 2015, 11:56:25 PM

Are you being sarcastic dude? Because I think that was a pretty fair way of handling the situation.

Agreed. On my first reading, I'd missed that they then got into legal trouble once they repeated the situation after the police visited. I think it would have been a little whack if the police had immediately done anything beyond what they did initially.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Next time I see one of my protein bars sitting around somewhere, unwrapped with a tiny bite taken out of it I may banish my kids to the woods.  I keep telling them they're not candy bars.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Well, thank goodness they didn't spank the kid! That would require a response from the White House. 

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on July 08, 2015, 01:00:03 PM
Well, thank goodness they didn't spank the kid! That would require a response from the White House. 

I don't think it'd be a far stretch to say that with parenting like she's getting, she's likely to be a fuck-up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2015, 01:32:55 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 08, 2015, 01:00:03 PM

I don't think it'd be a far stretch to say that with parenting like she's getting, she's likely to be a fuck-up.

Yeah, the parents went pretty weird on discipline ideas there. And they're getting slammed by the legal system for it too.

crazy canuck

Everyone is overlooking the seriousness of having pop tarts in the house

lustindarkness

I like pop tarts. Do they even actually contain any nutritional value other than sugars?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon