News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spain Introduces Repressive Gag Law

Started by jimmy olsen, July 02, 2015, 06:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Is generalissimo Francisco Franco still dead?   :hmm:

http://www.thelocal.es/20150701/the-ten-most-repressive-aspects-of-spains-new-gag-law

The ten most repressive points of Spain's gag law

Published: 01 Jul 2015 12:54 GMT+02:00

Its many detractors complain that the new "gag law" introduced today harks back to the repressive days of the Franco regime. Here are a list of its most controversial points.

Spain brought in its new public security law on Wednesday limiting freedom of speech and curbing the right to peacefully protest with the introduction of fines ranging between €100 ($111) and €600,000.

The Local takes a look at some of the more repressive points of the controversial law dubbed the  Ley Mordaza or "gag law".

1) Fines for protesting

Under the new law, anyone who organizes or takes part in an "unauthorized protest" could be fined between €30,000 and €600,000 if the protest takes part near institutions such as the Spanish parliament.

2) Distrupting public events

Disrupting events such as public speeches, sports events or religious ceremonies could face fines of between €600 and €300,000.

3) Botellón

The Spanish tradition of getting together with mates for outdoor drinking sessions looks to be officially over – drinking in public will be hit with fines of €600 under the new law. And teenagers won't escape – Parents will be held responsible for the payment of their offsprings' fines.

4) Social media activism

Using Twitter, Facebook or Instagram to call on people to protest will be fined under the new law, an attempt to put paid to the spontaneous protests that have proved very powerful in building the indignado movement.

5) Photographing police

People will be fined for taking unauthorized photographs of the police, a measure introduced with the argument that being publically identified could put officers and their families in danger.

6) Smoking weed

It puts an end to the laissez faire attitude that has seen Spain become a nation with one of the largest potsmoking populations in Europe. But from now on lighting up a joint in bars or on public transport could result in a fine of between €600 and €30,000.

7) Leaving furniture in the street

It is a tradition that has existed in Spain long before the current upcycling trend but from now on dumping unwanted furniture in the street could come with a penalty. Those caught obstructing streets with old furniture, cars or other unwanted items will be fined.

8) Trying to stop an eviction

People trying to stop an eviction from taking place could be fined between €600 and €300,000. The number of evictions in Spain has skyrocketed since the beginning of the economic crisis. New Barcelona mayor, Ada Colau (pictured above) has been a famous anti-eviction activist.

9) Not having your ID

Spaniards who are asked to show their ID card and do not have it on their person could be in trouble under the new law. If they cannot immediately locate it at home and have failed to report it missing, they are liable to be fined.

10)  Disrepecting a police officer

Showing a "lack of respect" to those in uniform or failing to assist security forces in the prevention of public disturbances could result in an individual fine of  between €600 and €30,000.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

7-9 are ok, the rest vary from unfortunate to, as you would say, appalling.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2015, 06:38:09 PM
Is generalissimo Francisco Franco still dead?   :hmm:

Yes, he is, but his political heirs are restless.

dps

Quote7) Leaving furniture in the street

It is a tradition that has existed in Spain long before the current upcycling trend but from now on dumping unwanted furniture in the street could come with a penalty. Those caught obstructing streets with old furniture, cars or other unwanted items will be fined.

Wow, that's really repressive.  What's next, criminalizing dumping pig shit into the public water supply?

The Brain

Didn't we talk about these when the law was passed?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

MadImmortalMan

Is the reasoning to fight terrorism or something?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 02, 2015, 09:15:57 PM

I imagine the reason is to deter protesting without permits.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2015, 09:30:33 PM

I imagine the reason is to deter protesting without permits.

Which also means any form of spontaneous protest is now illegal, because you'll need a permit first. I don't know how restrictive Spanish authorities are about permitting political demonstrations.

I'm against having a protest exclusion zone around parliament/government buildings. While the official reason will be "public safety," it smacks more of "protest somewhere where we don't have to see you."

Torn on the public drinking - I see pros and cons.

Social media activism ... yes, let's mobilize protests through carrier pigeons, smoke signals and the telegraph instead.  :rolleyes:

Mandatory to carry ID - depends on how widespread it'll be. Germany and Austria have similar laws, but in almost 40 years no police officer ever asked me to ID myself.

Photographing police - not in agreement, but given Spain's history of domestic terrorism that targeted the police a lot I can understand where this is coming from.

Disrupting public events - a strong democracy should be able to handle that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Well, now I am hoping Podemos wins the next elections.  :cool:

Crazy_Ivan80

probably trying to stifle the Catalans. the sentiment pro-freedom is close to 50% there now.

Ideologue

The solution to that potential problem is invoking Article 4, not repressive government. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

It's mostly about curving protests that have dented the government's image throughout their austerity and corruption-fueled administration. The opposition as a whole (something unheard of) has vowed the repeal the law if there's an alternative majority next year. It's a bit of a stupid move to have the law implemented now, though; it's too late to have any effect and it will make them look even worse with the election around the corner.

Most of the stuff in there (pot smoking, outdoors drinking, not carrying your ID) is already not permitted, but laissez-faire is widespread. The fines are now significantly increased. What is worse, though, is that a lot those will now be considered "administrative penalties" and thus will escape judicial review.

garbon

Having to have an ID card on you at all times? :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on July 03, 2015, 02:24:50 AMWhat is worse, though, is that a lot those will now be considered "administrative penalties" and thus will escape judicial review.

Hopefully Spanish Constitution is sufficiently well written for this to be considered unconstitutional? Wondering whether this can go to the ECHR too, especially if this is enforced in a way stiffling legitimate protests.