16 (36.4%)
The Greeks will vote Yes but should vote No
6 (13.6%)
The Greeks will vote Yes and should vote Yes
4 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2015, 01:09:36 PM
More austerity is the least favourable outcome for Greece. It has been proven already not to work. The best part, though, is that the Troika has really no way of forcing that on Greece. The worst they can do, unilaterally, is to cause Greece to default, while staying in the Eurozone - and they know this would be a disaster not just for Greeks.

Essentially, Greeks are Fremen now and they are threatening to blow up the entire supply of spice. The Troika (the Emperor, Bene Gesserit and the Space Guild) can just watch them do that or they have to negotiate. :P

What does Greece have that the Troika needs ("spice")?  :huh:

Martinus

Legbiter

They could just let Greece default and stay in the euro. Everyone just goes on holiday and dosen't pick up the phone when Greece calls.  :hmm:

Grimbo.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

QuoteNigel Farage@Nigel_Farage
EU project is now dying. It's fantastic to see the courage of the Greek people in the face of political and economic bullying from Brussels
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

QuoteCarl Bildt
@carlbildt

Well, a clear majority in Greece doesn't want the help that other Euro countries have offered. Their choice. But tragic.

:huh: Help? I'm told the EU was herding Greeks into camps.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2015, 01:50:07 PM
Eurozone stability.
:huh: You might want to reread the news of the last five years. Greece is not exactly a source of Eurozone stability.

Zanza

Quote from: Legbiter on July 05, 2015, 01:54:30 PM
They could just let Greece default and stay in the euro. Everyone just goes on holiday and dosen't pick up the phone when Greece calls.  :hmm:
Why would Greece even negotiate with the terrorists again? Anyway, there won't be a new deal anytime soon. The Greeks are on their own for now.

Agelastus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 05, 2015, 01:34:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2015, 12:56:38 PM
With such an overwhelming "no" victory, yet the polls until very last moment reporting a really close vote, you can't help but think of some conspiracy theories...

or bad polling. Something we've seen plenty of the past few years

I think that with only a week of campaigning and decision making time there was probably a much higher proportion of people who ended up making their mind up at the last minute than would be normal for, say, a Greek general election. I think it's probably unfair to jump straight to "bad polling" in this specific case.

--------------

I'm surprised that the turnout was as low as 62% though. All the news reports in the UK were talking about queues at the polling booths.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

"Staying in the euro" is something Greece doesn't really need permission to do.  They could default and maintain the euro as the official currency.  Panama uses the US dollar as its official currency.  But their banks wouldn't have access to ECB financing.

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2015, 04:04:06 PM
"Staying in the euro" is something Greece doesn't really need permission to do.  They could default and maintain the euro as the official currency.  Panama uses the US dollar as its official currency.  But their banks wouldn't have access to ECB financing.

Which would force Greece out of the euro anyway. Unless Greece wants to make the events of the last week last indefinitely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PJL on July 05, 2015, 04:07:03 PM
Which would force Greece out of the euro anyway. Unless Greece wants to make the events of the last week last indefinitely.

I don't follow.

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2015, 04:09:12 PM
Quote from: PJL on July 05, 2015, 04:07:03 PM

I don't follow.

Greece would have a full blown banking crisis if the ECB withdrew support. Once that happens (if it's not already happening), then distribution and supply networks would disintegrate, causing shortages everywhere. After that, it would go into full panic mode, with society disintegrating.  In that scenario, printing a new currency (or at least stamping Euros with BoG stamps on them as a start) would be an absolute necessity just to run a basic economy.

Countries like Montenegro and Panama don't need their own currencies, as their banks are solvent, so no-one is worried about losing their money in the bank.

Duque de Bragança

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Agelastus on July 05, 2015, 03:59:51 PM
All the news reports in the UK were talking about queues at the polling booths.

practice for the communist hellhole many greeks seem to desire