News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

wireless headset

Started by Caliga, July 02, 2015, 12:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

So my computer desk ended up in am entertainment room at my new place, and instead of hooking up my old surround sound speakers I'm instead leaning toward getting a wireless headset.

Recommendations anyone?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

How much you want to spend? 300$?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2015, 01:44:55 PM
How much you want to spend? 300$?
Ideally not that much, but willing to consider it if there's a huge difference between headsets @ that price point vs. ones around $100 or less.

Grey Fox

I've never tried one myself but I've heard good things on Logitech's Wireless G930.

I also heard they interfere with a Wifi signal if too close in , both, range signal & physically to the rooter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2015, 02:12:43 PM
I've never tried one myself but I've heard good things on Logitech's Wireless G930.

I also heard they interfere with a Wifi signal if too close in , both, range signal & physically to the rooter.
Bummer as this computer is connected to the network via Wi-Fi, though the router itself is about 100 feet away so it probably won't cause a problem there.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2015, 12:02:56 PM
So my computer desk ended up in am entertainment room at my new place, and instead of hooking up my old surround sound speakers I'm instead leaning toward getting a wireless headset.

Recommendations anyone?
you need a bluetooth headset and you need to pay at least 200$, ideally, closer to 400$ for something of noteworthy quality. 

This is ok:
RS-170
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Why do I 'need' to spend that much?

Mind you I am willing to go that high but there better be a really good reason or else I'd have to do a lot of apologizing to the boss.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2015, 09:52:23 PM
Why do I 'need' to spend that much?

Mind you I am willing to go that high but there better be a really good reason or else I'd have to do a lot of apologizing to the boss.
noise cancelling and virtual surround.  You put this on, you don't hear your wife shooting at you.  When you watch the Avengers, you can hear Iron Man fighting in the background while Hulk is smashing things.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Once again, consider Viper's penchant for expensive rigs.  You don't "need" 200-400 to get a decent headset:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-160-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B002SOU2Y0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436018294&sr=1-1&keywords=RS-160

Normally 199, on sale for about 119.
Experience bij!

Syt

The Razer Chimaera 5.1 seems to get decent reviews. It's "only" 5.1, though, but then again, 7.1. headsets aren't quite "there" yet (either sacrificing quality over directional or vice versa).

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-chimaera-51
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 04, 2015, 08:59:02 AM
Once again, consider Viper's penchant for expensive rigs.  You don't "need" 200-400 to get a decent headset:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-160-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B002SOU2Y0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1436018294&sr=1-1&keywords=RS-160

Normally 199, on sale for about 119.
These look nice dude.  Thanks.  I just tested the rear line-out jack on my PC with a pair of Princesca's wired headphones and it seems to work fine.

Question: what is circumaural vs. 5.1/7.1 surround?  I'd use headphones for gaming as well as listening to music and movies.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2015, 09:12:53 AM
The Razer Chimaera 5.1 seems to get decent reviews. It's "only" 5.1, though, but then again, 7.1. headsets aren't quite "there" yet (either sacrificing quality over directional or vice versa).

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-chimaera-51
Yeah, I have a 7.1 speaker set for my PC now and I literally never set all speakers up due to spacing issues... and the surround sound was fine to me without them all.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on July 04, 2015, 07:15:36 PM
Question: what is circumaural vs. 5.1/7.1 surround?  I'd use headphones for gaming as well as listening to music and movies.

:lol: Circumaural is just a fancy way of saying "over-ear" (as opposed to "on-ear") headphones- your ears rest inside ear cups, as opposed to ear pads that rest on your ear.  The biggest benefits are 1) natural external noise dampening/cancellation, 2) (theoretically) more comfortable with less pressure on the cartilage of your ear (though there are plenty of uncomfortable circumaural headphones out there in reality), and 3) with a bit more space, headphone makers can often use better drivers; on-ear headphones typically use 7mm drivers, while many over-ear headphones use 12mm (think of drivers as the headphone equivalent of woofers- bigger ones typically mean better bass, since they can sustain lower-frequency pressure waves).
Experience bij!

Caliga

Just got a pair of these.  Haven't tried any gaming yet with them but listening to music and it's surprisingly great.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain