Robot Crushes Contractor to Death at VW Motor Plant in Germany

Started by jimmy olsen, July 02, 2015, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The revolt has begun! :o

ttp://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/robot-crushes-contractor-death-vw-motor-plant-germany-n385541

Robot Crushes Contractor to Death at VW Motor Plant in Germany

by M. Alex Johnson

Prosecutors are investigating the death of a worker who was crushed by a robotic system he was setting up at a Volkswagen plant in the Kassel district of Germany, authorities and VW said Wednesday.

Heiko Hillwig, a VW spokesman, told the local newspaper Hessische Niedersächsische Allgemeine that the man — who worked for a contractor and was identified only as being from the German state of Saxony — was killed Monday at a plant in the town of Baunatal, north of Frankfurt, where VW is starting a new production line for electric motors.

The robot grabbed the man and pressed him against a metal plate, crushing his chest
, Hillwig said. The man was resuscitated but died a short time later at a hospital, he said.

The Kassel regional prosecutor's office said it's investigating whether negligence may have been involved and, if so, who was culpable. The contractor, not VW, operated the facility.

"Then we'll see if — and if so, against whom — charges are to be made," a spokesman for the prosecutor's office told the German news agency Deutsche Presse-Agentur.

Hillwig said all contractors are required to adhere to VW's workplace safety regulations.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

It isn't like humans don't kill other humans accidentally.  We can't expect robots to have a perfect safety record, but we should expect them to be better than humans. 

celedhring

Iormlund staging the perfect murder? Or is he in Poland at the moment?

The Larch

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2015, 06:06:17 AM
Police sketch of the main suspect.  :ph34r:

If you read Stirling's sequels to Terminator 2 (much better than the third movie), then this is how it starts. Skynet killing people in industrial "accidents" to see how humans react to machines out of control.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2015, 06:47:23 AM
:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

https://twitter.com/sarahoconnor_/status/616282747200479232

I feel kind of bad for that poor economics journalist. She has a passion for boring things and now people are bugging her over a movie series she has never even seen.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2015, 09:03:01 AM

If you read Stirling's sequels to Terminator 2 (much better than the third movie), then this is how it starts. Skynet killing people in industrial "accidents" to see how humans react to machines out of control.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Who is Stirling?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2015, 09:37:58 AM

S.M. Stirling is a best selling science fiction author. Before he became really big he wrote some licensed sequels to Terminator 2

http://www.amazon.com/Infiltrator-T2-S-M-Stirling/dp/0380808161

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Ouch.

We have two Ford plants in Louisville and every once in a while someone gets seriously injured or killed at one of them.  In fact, once of Princesca's good friends used to work at the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant and a pneumatic hammer that was re-positioning collided with her head by mistake.  It fractured her skull and she's had neurological problems ever since.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2015, 09:42:09 AM
Ouch.

We have two Ford plants in Louisville and every once in a while someone gets seriously injured or killed at one of them.  In fact, once of Princesca's good friends used to work at the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant and a pneumatic hammer that was re-positioning collided with her head by mistake.  It fractured her skull and she's had neurological problems ever since.

As long as it's not radiation it's not dangerous. At least according to the government.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2015, 09:41:14 AM

S.M. Stirling is a best selling science fiction author. Before he became really big he wrote some licensed sequels to Terminator 2

:x

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2015, 09:41:14 AM

QuoteA new generation faces its own challenges in the world the Change has made.

Princess Órlaith, heir to Rudi Mackenzie, Artos the First, High King of Montival, now wields the Sword of the Lady—and faces a new enemy. Fortunately, she also has a new ally in Reiko, Empress of Japan, who has been pursued to America by a conquering army from Asia.

To combat their mutual foe, Órlaith and Reiko embark on a quest to find the fabled Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, the Grass-Cutting Sword, one of the three great treasures of the Japanese Imperial House. But dreams have revealed that the road to Kusanagi lies through the meganecropolis of the City of Angels, the greatest and most perilous of the dead cities...and beyond it, to a castle in the fearful Valley of Death. And their relentless enemy will stop at nothing to prevent them from succeeding.

For across the Pacific, the great arc of land that stretches from the dark kingdom of Korea to the realm of Capricornia in Australia is threatened by war. Now all the survivors of the Change must choose sides....
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.