Turkey considers invading Syria to fight the Kurds

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 05:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The stupidity is astounding

http://www.ibtimes.com/turkey-considering-sending-troops-syria-fight-syrian-kurds-isis-report-1987157

Turkey will send troops to Syria to protect its border where Syrian Kurds have made significant gains in the past month, several Turkish media outlets reported Sunday. The Turkish government gave its military the directive to increase support to Syrian rebels on the border, something the army has agreed to do on the condition that diplomatic issues with allies were ironed out.

Turkish news outlet Cumhuriyet Daily reported on Sunday that the military had not been deployed but that it was already in planning stages. The deployment of Turkish troops into Syria is likely to be a major game-changer in Syria. Turkey has the second biggest army in NATO and its proximity to Syria has made the country a key player in the American-led coalition to fight the Islamic State group.

Syrian Kurds have been fighting the group also known as ISIS on the Turkish border for the past year, and their recent advances have worried Turkey, which is opposed vehemently to a Kurdish state on its border.

"I am saying this to the whole world: We will never allow the establishment of a state on our southern border in the north of Syria," Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in a speech last Friday. "We will continue our fight in that respect whatever the cost may be."

The Turkish government has not confirmed or denied the reports, but said the announcement would be made on Tuesday.

"We have a MGK [National Security Council] meeting tomorrow; we will make the necessary announcements afterwards," Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said, according to the state-run news outlet Anadolu Agency.

Turkey has a tumultuous relationship with its own Kurdish population and worried the recent gains would allow their Syrian counterparts to consolidate territory from Kobani to the Kurdish canton of Afrin. Kurdish leaders have denied they have plans to do so.

Turkey's alleged "active support" for Syrian moderate rebels with the Free Syrian Army would involve roughly 18,000 ground forces, air support and artillery on a stretch of land spanning from Kobani to Mare, an FSA-controlled town in northwestern Syria, the Daily Beast reported, citing local media reports.

Syrian rebels have, in some cases, participated in Kurdish offensives to push back ISIS militants in the border area with Turkey. Turkey said will support the rebels in pushing back both ISIS and Kurdish forces from the border.

Earlier this year, Syrian Kurds were largely fighting in the border town of Kobani where ISIS was pushed out in January. Early last week, Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units seized Tel Abyad, cutting off a key supply route from Turkey to the ISIS de-facto headquarters in Raqqa. By the end of last week ISIS launched a major assault to retake Kobani, killing at least 200 people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Quotetheir recent advances have worried Turkey, which is opposed vehemently to a Kurdish state on its border

These Kurds are anarchists, so maybe they can get off on a technicality?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

QuoteTurkey will send troops to Syria to protect its border where Syrian Kurds have made significant gains in the past month, several Turkish media outlets reported Sunday. The Turkish government gave its military the directive to increase support to Syrian rebels on the border, something the army has agreed to do on the condition that diplomatic issues with allies were ironed out.

Now, see I'm going to stop you right there.  I see a problem here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

And a murderous, psychopathic Islamic Caliphate on their border is not enough to intervene in Syria?

Just more crap on the pile that is Erdogan-tard.

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 28, 2015, 07:10:56 PM
And a murderous, psychopathic Islamic Caliphate on their border is not enough to intervene in Syria?

Just more crap on the pile that is Erdogan-tard.

For Erdogan, Assad is the bigger evil. Me, I think it will be funny to watch once IS spills into Turkey.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I never fully got the Turkey/Syria hate.  Best as I can figure, it's just an extension of the massive Sunni/Shia divide that, while always existing of course, didn't seem to be all that big a deal until after we blew into Iraq.

It's like the Thirty Years' War going on all in there.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 29, 2015, 01:19:47 AM
I never fully got the Turkey/Syria hate.  Best as I can figure, it's just an extension of the massive Sunni/Shia divide that, while always existing of course, didn't seem to be all that big a deal until after we blew into Iraq.

the divide's been there for about als long as the 'religion' existed. And they've been fighting ever since.

Syt

It's also a bit about who's the big man on campus. Especially with someone like Erdogan at the helm.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2015, 01:51:16 AM

the divide's been there for about als long as the 'religion' existed. And they've been fighting ever since.

Meh, I'd argue that during much of the "golden" age of Baathist dictators, they managed to keep the domestic violence between the two to a very low level (Iran-Iraq war being a possible exception).  Certainly calmer than it is these days.

Martinus

In other news, the Turkish police has just brutally dispersed the Istambul gay pride yesterday, using water cannons and rubber bullets. What a shitty country that is.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2015, 06:32:34 AM
In other news, the Turkish police has just brutally dispersed the Istambul gay pride yesterday, using water cannons and rubber bullets.

:mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Strange development. The Turks are more worried about the Kurds than ISIS, and the Kurds are actually fighting against ISIS. Yeah, they don't want a Kurdish state in northern Syria but it's pretty much a fait accompli in northern Iraq where the Kurds are pretty much an independent state anyways. That  independence would likely get stronger as Iraq and Iran fight ISIS but Iraqi Sunnis and Shias may become more divided even if they both unite against ISIS, or at least some Sunnis do.

I also don't get the Turk hate for Assad and wanting him out, but figure the original reasoning was wanting a better more democratic government there. But especially now given past experience elsewhere such as Libya, it should be obvious that if Assad falls then radicals take over which are much worse for Turkey and everyone else, especially given the border with Turkey.

Valmy

It is hard to have much sympathy for the governments in the area for these horrors when their responses are so bizarre. ISIS seems to be just politics as usual to them and not something worth considerable hand wringing. It makes you wonder why we fret so much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy