The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2017, 10:41:26 PM
I'd like to know exactly how "Technical Writer" can be looking at 89% probability.   It's English, not Mathematics.
I could tell you, but you might get autism.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on June 02, 2017, 10:48:52 AM
I'd like to know exactly how "Technical Writer" can be looking at 89% probability.   It's English, not Mathematics.

WORDS MATTER

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2017, 11:03:15 AM
Quote from: Maximus on June 02, 2017, 10:48:52 AM

WORDS MATTER

letter can be replaced with numbers. the brave new world is coming to get you :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

I'm not telling Them my job. But I suppose it's pretty safe from automation.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Robots can learn to out-viking you, I'm sure.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Archy

99% chance of automation as cargo agent my days are numbered I'm doomed.  :ph34r:

Berkut

4.2%, depending on how I classify my non-existent job.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

15% so I should be safe.

And I am way over the median wage.   Yay unions!!

Grinning_Colossus

3.5% for the job that I'll hopefully have in a year.  :yeah:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

Suck it Minsky, the proletarian youth is screwed.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/20/mcdonalds-hits-all-time-high-as-wall-street-cheers-replacement-of-cashiers-with-kiosks.html

QuoteMcDonald's hits all-time high as Wall Street cheers replacement of cashiers with kiosks

Cowen says McDonald's will upgrade 2,500 restaurants to its "Experience of the Future" technology by year-end, which includes digital ordering kiosks.

The firm raises its rating on McDonald's to outperform from market perform and price target for the shares to $180 from $142.

Same store sales estimate for 2018 raised to 3 percent from 2 percent.

Tae Kim   | @firstadopter
Tuesday, 20 Jun 2017 | 11:30 AM ET

McDonald's shares hit an all-time high on Tuesday as Wall Street expects sales to increase from new digital ordering kiosks that will replace cashiers in 2,500 restaurants.

Cowen raised its rating on McDonald's shares to outperform from market perform because of the technology upgrades, which are slated for the fast-food chain's restaurants this year.

McDonald's shares rallied 26 percent this year through Monday compared to the S&P 500's 10 percent return.

Andrew Charles from Cowen cited plans for the restaurant chain to roll out mobile ordering across 14,000 U.S. locations by the end of 2017. The technology upgrades, part of what McDonald's calls "Experience of the Future," includes digital ordering kiosks that will be offered in 2,500 restaurants by the end of the year and table delivery.

"MCD is cultivating a digital platform through mobile ordering and Experience of the Future (EOTF), an in-store technological overhaul most conspicuous through kiosk ordering and table delivery," Charles wrote in a note to clients Tuesday. "Our analysis suggests efforts should bear fruit in 2018 with a combined 130 bps [basis points] contribution to U.S. comps [comparable sales]."

He raised his 2018 U.S. same store sales growth estimate for the fast-food chain to 3 percent from 2 percent.

The analyst raised his price target for McDonald's to $180 from $142, representing 17.5 percent upside from Monday's close. He also raised his 2018 earnings-per-share forecast to $6.87 from $6.71 versus the Wall Street consensus of $6.83.

"MCD has done a great job launching popular innovations within the context of simplifying the menu, while introducing more effective value initiatives that have recently begun to improve the brand's value perceptions," he wrote.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Hate them. I don't want to have to be a cashier.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, fuck Uber.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/22/big-mac-smaller-effort-uber-to-run-mcdonalds-deliveries-in-uk-ubereats

QuoteBig Mac, smaller effort: Uber to run McDonald's deliveries in UK
Burger giant teams up with UberEats to launch trial of McDelivery service in parts of London, Nottingham and Leeds

Fancy a Big Mac but just can't be bothered to get up off the sofa? McDonald's has finally answered your prayers– if you live in parts of London, Nottingham and Leeds at least.

The fast food giant has launched its long-awaited "McDelivery" trial in the UK after teaming up with Uber's food delivery service, UberEats.

McDonald's will offer the service from 22 outlets across the capital and another 10 restaurants in Leeds and Nottingham – although customers will have to live within a 1.5 mile radius of a restaurant.

Customers can place orders through the UberEats app between 7am and 2am.

Claude Abi-Gerges, a McDonald's franchisee who has five London outlets taking part in the trial, said the service would offer a "new level of convenience" to fit around customers' busy lives.

McDonald's said it would be monitoring the trial closely to see whether it proved popular.

Mathieu Proust, general manager of UberEats, said the trial would let people "get the food they want" quickly and reliably.

The launch comes after KFC launched home deliveries from 30 outlets in greater London via the Just Eat platform earlier this year.

Growth in the number of ready-to-eat food deliveries was stronger than that for the broader eating out market last year, according to analysts at NPD Group.

The McDonald's move follows similar tie-ups with Uber in the US, while the chain already delivers in China and Singapore.

Early last year the company said it would experiment with table service and cooked-to-order gourmet burgers at hundreds of UK restaurants, in a bid to head off competition from upmarket rivals such as Byron.

In April McDonald's said quarterly profits rose by a better than expected 8% to $1.21bn, despite a 3.9% fall in revenue to $5.68bn. Operating costs dropped nearly 12%.

Sales at US restaurants open for more than a year rose 1.7% in the three months to March 2017.

The increase comes after the chief executive, Steve Easterbrook, who is British, launched a turnaround plan involving slashing overheads, weeding out underperforming restaurants, offering the breakfast menu all day and switching US restaurants to chicken raised without human antibiotics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2017, 10:08:37 AM
Suck it Minsky, the proletarian youth is screwed.

As I understand it there are plenty of proletarian adults who work in fastfood as well. It's not just the youth who are screwed.

The Minsky Moment

If the future of our workforce was supposed to be fastfood counter service, we were already screwed to begin with.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson