The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Josquius

It increasingly seems the way to survive is to buy a farm.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2016, 02:32:52 AM

Not sure subsistence farming is going to be that much better than being someone's client.

Barrister

I don't know where you got that idea from.

Farming itself is increasingly mechanized, and requires lots of capital.  Now some farmers are getting by on being "artisanal", but then you're as much a marketing company as you are a farmer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2016, 02:57:51 PM

I don't know where you got that idea from.

Farming itself is increasingly mechanized, and requires lots of capital.  Now some farmers are getting by on being "artisanal", but then you're as much a marketing company as you are a farmer.

Getting the startup money will be the problem.
But once that's done with the right robots and renewables you should be able to support yourself.
The only problem as I see it is the raw materials for the 3d printer that makes the spare parts.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

I'm not sure Tyr understands how farming works.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2016, 04:05:04 PM

But once that's done with the right robots and renewables you should be able to support yourself.
The only problem as I see it is the raw materials for the 3d printer that makes the spare parts.

Make sure they speak Bocce.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 09, 2016, 04:19:00 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2016, 04:05:04 PM

Make sure they speak Bocce.

:D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on December 09, 2016, 04:13:40 PM
I'm not sure Tyr understands how farming works.
What's not to get?
In a hyper automated future you sit in your farm house watching TV whilst your solar powered robit/robot serfs plow your vast acres.
They follow standard practice of holding some of the crop for replanting in the following year and all you really have to worry about is some part of the machine breaking down.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Heh, I wonder if at the end of it all we'll go back to XVIIIth century Physiocracy and only the possession of raw materials and agricultural products will hold real economic value.

Valmy

I look forward to sitting on the veranda sipping lemonade while my robots pick the cotton.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2016, 04:27:36 PM
I look forward to sitting on the veranda sipping lemonade while my robots pick the cotton.

Ah, magnolias.

Ed Anger

Ahhh, Lettow's niggerbots. But they are supposed be be on his space ark or something.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2016, 07:36:39 PM
Ahhh, Lettow's niggerbots. But they are supposed be be on his space ark or something.

Sounds like something from Rifts.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2016, 07:36:39 PM

The hardest part will be programming the whipping bot.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.