The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 01, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 01, 2016, 03:30:45 AM
What anti-social nerds. Time for a cull.

That is so my son.

He is anti-social to a fault, it is starting to really worry me.

On the positive, I was quite anti-social until I'd moved away from my hometown and got to hangout with people I actually liked. I learned in retrospect that my parents had been quite worried. :blush: :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2016, 01:48:50 AM
Yeah, it is my dream to go to a restaurant without human interaction.  So far there has been very little progress though.  The most I have seen is that some mainland Chinese restaurants have experimented with giving customers ipads to order food.  It works for me, but lots of people dislike going through menus themselves.  My parents-in-law never touch restaurant menus.  Most restaurants already have terminals that allow waiting staff to input orders.  They just have to make the system available to customers.

The other part that can be automated is billing.  I think there should be a small terminal on each table for ordering food, printing the bill and making credit card payments. 

The parts that are far more difficult to automate are bringing food to the table and clearing the dishes.  I have read reports that some mainland restaurants have experimented with using robots, but they only really travel along fixed tracks.  It is more a gimmick than something that works. 

And of course, the actual cooking.  I think generally, machines and AI are better at information processing than complex mechanical movements, so I don't think cooking can be automated on a large scale for now.

If the space is rectangularish you could install a robot hanging from a overhead crane-like rail-system to deliver food. Customers would drop RFID-tagged dishes at some place. The system could also have sensors to sweep the tables and charge customers extra if something is detected prior to cleaning them.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 12:19:50 PM
Hey a rare Iorm post. Good to see you.

Yeah I don't post much lately. I spend most of my weekends at Barcelona with my gf so I have much less time for you guys. :blush:

Eddie Teach

You should post at work like most of these slackers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

:lol:

I spend most of my day at the factory floor, the lab or running from one meeting to the next.

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on September 01, 2016, 02:13:50 PM
:lol:

I spend most of my day at the factory floor, the lab or running from one meeting to the next.

"Mobile devices no exist in my country!" :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

I think the electronic ordering system is more than just a way to cut down on the number of staff and reduce errors.  Because the ordering can be done in advance.  Instead of ordering the food and drinks on the spot, customers can choose to place their orders a day or two in advance over the internet.  This cuts down on food preparation time (leads to higher table turnover) and allows restaurants to make more accurate assessments in inventory management. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Iormlund on September 01, 2016, 12:17:48 PM

If the space is rectangularish you could install a robot hanging from a overhead crane-like rail-system to deliver food. Customers would drop RFID-tagged dishes at some place. The system could also have sensors to sweep the tables and charge customers extra if something is detected prior to cleaning them.

I don't understand why the dishes need to be tagged.  Some of the cafeterias that I go to expect customers to place used dishes in designated spots.  We just do it.  The Japanese also like it that way.  Why tag the dishes in the first place?

Josquius

Yeah. One of the big conveyor sushi chains in japan counts how much you've eaten via counting the empty plates you post down a slot by your table (10 plates and you get a chance to win a prize )
██████
██████
██████

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2016, 08:05:17 PM
I think the electronic ordering system is more than just a way to cut down on the number of staff and reduce errors.  Because the ordering can be done in advance.  Instead of ordering the food and drinks on the spot, customers can choose to place their orders a day or two in advance over the internet.  This cuts down on food preparation time (leads to higher table turnover) and allows restaurants to make more accurate assessments in inventory management. 

Wow.
This is brilliant!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Iormlund

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2016, 08:10:55 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 01, 2016, 12:17:48 PM

I don't understand why the dishes need to be tagged.  Some of the cafeterias that I go to expect customers to place used dishes in designated spots.  We just do it.  The Japanese also like it that way.  Why tag the dishes in the first place?

I assume those cafeterias have staff that can clear the tables if someone is being an asshole and not doing it. In this scenario I was going for a fully automated system. The most important part of designing an automated system is making sure it can deal properly with assholes and morons.