The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on May 26, 2016, 03:34:25 PM
It's not that hard to believe. I've spent some time at Wolfsburg (the HQ of VW). Over a hundred thousand people work there. It's basically an entire city built around the plant where the Beetle was made.

100,000 working in a complex isn't incredible.  100,000 working in a single factory is more so. Foxcomm's complex at Longhua has 15 factories and had about 300,000 empoyees in 2010 (less now).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Oh, boy Grumbler is making distinctions without a difference.  Again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 26, 2016, 05:02:57 PM
Oh, boy Grumbler is making distinctions without a difference.  Again.
I can see why you would think that.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on May 26, 2016, 05:02:57 PM
Oh, boy Grumbler is making a distinction without a difference.  Again.

Fixed. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on June 04, 2016, 04:00:29 PM
Other: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36443512

Go Switzerland!

I hope they implement it.  If only as a sort of social experiement to see how it turns out.  This can potentially pave the way to how welfare is done in the future.  Would be a lot easier to give everybody a basic income instead of running dozens of overlapping welfare and subsidy schemes, with different rules for each. 

Zanza

garbon

Rail unions that TfL execs celebrated successfully closing out a lot of unneeded ticket counters. Apparently in our brave new world, businesses should keep positions they don't need in order to keep people employed.

Though with the amount of TfL employees now chilling near the turnstiles, I wonder how many were actually let go.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

TL, DR.

Something boring about the end of work. The professiarat in their ivory towers always mulling how the sheeple will find their way to the water. And they are wrong every time.

Bottom line: there is plenty of shit to do. Humans have a nack for finding new ways to make a living. It is called supply side economics. We will work where there will be opportunities. Whatever that may be.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

That's not what supply side economics means.

The Minsky Moment

His statement is correct however as a matter of empirical experience with automation over the last 200 years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2016, 11:47:35 AM
His statement is correct however as a matter of empirical experience with automation over the last 200 years.
That doesn't mean that it will continue to be correct in perpetuity, nor that it's even a good thing if it is correct.  Is endless demand creation the best long-term strategy for humanity?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on June 06, 2016, 11:50:02 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2016, 11:47:35 AM
That doesn't mean that it will continue to be correct in perpetuity

No but given 200 years worth of mistaken predictions it would suggest the need for a strong evidentiary hurdle.  The fact that right now one of the most notable features of the developed world economy is low productivity growth isn't exactly screaming an imminent robotic singularity.

Quote, nor that it's even a good thing if it is correct.  Is endless demand creation the best long-term strategy for humanity?

Marx and Keynes both said no.  For better or worse, though, human behavior has not accommodated to that view.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2016, 12:25:56 PM
No but given 200 years worth of mistaken predictions it would suggest the need for a strong evidentiary hurdle.  The fact that right now one of the most notable features of the developed world economy is low productivity growth isn't exactly screaming an imminent robotic singularity.
It's impossible to have evidence for a belief that eventually job growth won't be able to keep up with automation.  Humanity has never gone through a period of an accelerating technological innovation.  We've been in the middle of one for the last few centuries, but we haven't yet seen what the end game is.  Therefore, if you demand evidence, you're already stacking the deck.  With some phenomena it's just impossible to have data.