The Boy Who Cried Robot: A World Without Work

Started by jimmy olsen, June 28, 2015, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should we do if automation renders most people permanently unemployed?

Negative Income Tax
26 (52%)
Communist command economy directed by AI
7 (14%)
Purge/sterilize the poor
3 (6%)
The machines will eradicate us, so why worry about unemployment?
7 (14%)
Other, please specify
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on April 26, 2016, 10:19:40 PM
Millions of jobs are destroyed ever year.

And in the past they were replaced. How many blue collar manufacturing jobs have been replaced with jobs anywhere near as good? Not many, and male participation in the work force has therefore declined. The same will happen here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2016, 08:34:05 PM
Here we go. 1% of American jobs destroyed in the next five to ten years just from one tech.

Classic lump of labor fallacy.  E.g. we can't go to horseless carriages because the grooms and blacksmiths will all lose their jobs.

To wit:

QuoteWhere drivers are restricted by law from driving more than 11 hours per day without taking an 8-hour break, a driverless truck can drive nearly 24 hours per day. That means the technology would effectively double the output of the U.S. transportation network at 25 percent of the cost.

Consider the implications of that for the US economy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

To steal from the other thread...if people are too scared to automate trains, it will be far, far harder for self-driving semi's to take off...

Ed Anger

I for one welcome the death of of the truck driver position. Fan fucking tastic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Archy

I also welcome the end of the smelly East European international driver without knowledge of any other language than their own

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2016, 06:49:10 PM

And in the past they were replaced. How many blue collar manufacturing jobs have been replaced with jobs anywhere near as good? Not many, and male participation in the work force has therefore declined. The same will happen here.

We'll just keep making up more HR jobs so their wives can support them.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

it's unfortunate we can not find an AI to replace lawyers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Actually, a lot of lawyer work is going to be replaced within the next 5 years or so by an AI. Which poses a major challenge for recruiting - because in the past you would recruit, say, 10 trainees, have them carry out due diligence document review, and winnow them every few years until you end up with one or two who will end up as a partner. But now it is too expensive, and the AI is going to do that much cheaper - so it will become a true challenge how you pick the right ones to kick at the outset.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2016, 12:56:54 PM
Actually, a lot of lawyer work is going to be replaced within the next 5 years or so by an AI. Which poses a major challenge for recruiting - because in the past you would recruit, say, 10 trainees, have them carry out due diligence document review, and winnow them every few years until you end up with one or two who will end up as a partner. But now it is too expensive, and the AI is going to do that much cheaper - so it will become a true challenge how you pick the right ones to kick at the outset.

Maybe you'll realize that doing thousands of hours of due diligence doc review doesn't tell you anything about who would make a good partner? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 01:19:10 PM

Maybe you'll realize that doing thousands of hours of due diligence doc review doesn't tell you anything about who would make a good partner? :hmm:

You misunderstood me. The thing is back in the day we could hire, say, 10 trainees and pick up the best ones to keep. Now it will no longer be possible because they won't be a job for them.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2016, 01:48:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2016, 01:19:10 PM

You misunderstood me. The thing is back in the day we could hire, say, 10 trainees and pick up the best ones to keep. Now it will no longer be possible because they won't be a job for them.

I understand that.  I've been a part of it myself.

I'm suggesting that's a shitty system to begin with.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.