At least 27 dead in terror attack at Tunisia hotel

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 08:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Thought it better to start a new thread for this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/26/africa/tunisia-terror-attack/index.html

QuoteAt least 27 dead in terror attack at Tunisia hotel, state news agency says

(CNN)Terrorists killed at least 27 people in an attack Friday on a beachfront Tunisian hotel, Tunisian officials said, according to the state-run TAP news agency.

Tunisia's interior minister reported 27 dead -- at least some of whom were guests at the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba in Sousse, TAP reported.

Still, those figures are preliminary. In fact, an operation was still underway Friday afternoon after Tunisian security forces exchanged gunfire with the attackers.

On its website, Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba is described as an all-inclusive hotel with views of Port El Kantaoui. It contains indoor and outdoor pools, including one for children, as well as buffet-style and theme restaurants.

"This all creates the ideal environment for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city," the website says.

The attack is the latest in Tunisia, a North African nation that has attracted visitors for its culture and Mediterranean Sea beaches, apparently targeting tourists.

In March, at least 23 people died when gunmen stormed the landmark Bardo Museum in Tunis. In a subsequent audio statement, ISIS identified two men -- Abu Zakariya al-Tunisi and Abu Anas al-Tunisi -- who it said used "automatic weapons and hand grenades" to kill and injure what it called "crusaders and apostates"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Yeah I am not sure why anybody visits North Africa anymore. I remember when they started shooting up people in Egypt in the 90s and I was all like 'well I will just wait until this blows over before my big Egyptian trip'

Still waiting.

Quoteto kill and injure what it called "crusaders and apostates"

Because that is what the crusaders did. They showed up in the Levant and spent lots of money and then went home.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I visited that place, so many years ago.  Not even a close call by NBC's standards, but still, I feel something for those poor Tunisians caught in this fight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

I was actually considering going back to Tunisia until the Bardo attack put a stop to it.
Sousse is a nice enough place, but the area where those resorts are is a hellish scene.
Horrible tragedy though, nobody deserves that.

Berkut

ISIS has become a fine example of what actual evil looks like.

Even AQ has nothing on these guys.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Crazy_Ivan80

Curious how Tunisia will react. So far they've been rather exemplary in their defense of -what has to be- one of the freer societies in the region. If they backtrack in order to accomodate barbarism there'll be a lot of people leaving.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 08:07:30 AM
Yeah I am not sure why anybody visits North Africa anymore. I remember when they started shooting up people in Egypt in the 90s and I was all like 'well I will just wait until this blows over before my big Egyptian trip'

Still waiting.
Isn't Egypt a brutal police state that has cracked down on all domestic terrorism attempts? I would not want be caught up in a demonstration in Cario, but Hurgada or Sharm-el-Sheik seem reasonably safe. Not that I would ever set foot in those hellish Russian-dominated high density tourism traps.

The Brain

It's important to remember that ISIS aren't true Muslims.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: The Brain on June 26, 2015, 09:52:52 AM

The majority of those fighting the ISIS are Muslims, so you may have stumbled upon something there.  :hmm:

Liep

Quote from: Norgy on June 26, 2015, 10:03:08 AM

The majority of those fighting the ISIS are Muslims, so you may have stumbled upon something there.  :hmm:

He is starting to live up to his name.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on June 26, 2015, 10:03:08 AM

If that was an indicator of not being Muslims the Caliphate would have ceased to be Muslim after Civil War #23.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

KRonn

Horrible tragedy. Tunisia is one of the few Muslim nations in the region that seem to be doing well politically and in their society compared to many other nations in the region. But the whole region is still in flux so who knows how things will turn out.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on June 26, 2015, 12:59:06 PM
Horrible tragedy. Tunisia is one of the few Muslim nations in the region that seem to be doing well politically and in their society compared to many other nations in the region. But the whole region is still in flux so who knows how things will turn out.

You don't hear much about Morocco so they must be doing well.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 01:01:04 PM
Quote from: KRonn on June 26, 2015, 12:59:06 PM

You don't hear much about Morocco so they must be doing well.

They seem to be doing ok, but I have read that they've become a lot more Islamic conservative but nothing like radical.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.