News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ethymology of the word "goof"

Started by Martinus, June 24, 2015, 02:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I remember some time ago we were discussing whether the word "goof" comes from and I think there wasn't a satisfactory answer.

So, reading recently on Jewish mysticism and Qabalah, I came across the word "guph" or "guf" (pronounced similar to "goof") which refers to the lowest, basest part of existence, essentially a soulless, dumbest body (it is below animalistic insticts, and way below intellect, not to mention higher spiritual planes of existence, such as spirit or soul).

Think there may be a relation here?  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

More likely the English dialect word goff, meaning simpleton, derived from the Middle French goffe meaning awkward or stupid.

Given that there are a lot of French words in English but not many kabbalistic ones.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on June 24, 2015, 03:23:31 AM
More likely the English dialect word goff, meaning simpleton, derived from the Middle French goffe meaning awkward or stupid.

Given that there are a lot of French words in English but not many kabbalistic ones.

Could be all have the same root, though.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 24, 2015, 03:28:05 AM
Quote from: Brazen on June 24, 2015, 03:23:31 AM

Could be all have the same root, though.

Probably not.  One would be a Afro-asiatic and the other Indo-European. 

Quote1916, "stupid person," American English, perhaps a variant of English dialect goff "foolish clown" (1869), from 16c. goffe, probably from Middle French goffe "awkward, stupid," which is of uncertain origin. Or English goffe may be from Middle English goffen "speak in a frivolous manner," which is possibly from Old English gegaf "buffoonery," and gaffetung "scolding." Sense of "a blunder" is c. 1954, probably influenced by gaffe. Also compare goofer, goopher which appears in representations of U.S. black dialect from 1887 in the sense of "a curse, spell," probably from an African word.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=goof&allowed_in_frame=0

Kabbalism is from the high middle ages, in Spain I believe so it's unlikely to have influence middle or even Saxon English much.  And the word you are looking at is simply the Hebrew word for "body".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I know I mentioned it before, but if you ever find yourself in a western Canadian prison, the worst possible thing you can call someone is a goof (or, I guess the absolute worst is a Fucking goof).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi